PDA

View Full Version : Shop tunes?

Larry Browning
09-25-2004, 1:48 PM
I am doing some research on available options for music in my shop. I am going to ask Santa for a new sound system for the shop. I have a small old boom box type radio now that I have issues with. I live in a slightly remote area and radio reception is limited. It always seems that the stations I want to listen to are staticy or fade in and out. Plus I have not been able to find a station I really like. However, I also want to listen to major sports games from time to time. I really don't want to spend my shop time fiddling with CD's or tapes. So I've been thinking about my alternatives. here is what I have come up with so far. Satellite radio and Internet radio.I know very little about these 2 options, so I thought I would ask here.

Thanks,

Larry

Dennis Peacock
09-25-2004, 2:07 PM
Larry,

Just check around for folks tossing a stereo. I had a guy at work GIVE me a digital tuner, receiver, Equalizer and two nice large speakers for FREE. This thing had great sound and tone quality and would blow you out of the shop.!!! I should know....we used to have "stereo wars" in the barracks and I at least one two of the many competitions we had. ;) :D

Carl Eyman
09-25-2004, 2:18 PM
If there are FM stations you want to listen to but are in a fringe area, have you tried an outside directional antenna? We like public radio and before New Orleans WWNO put in a rebroadcast station in this area we used an outside antenna to bring in Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Actually the antenna was in thew attic, but it did the job.

Doug Jones
09-25-2004, 2:24 PM
With what your describing, I'd seriously look into "XM Radio". I can't comment on it but from everything I've heard about it, it sounds to be what your looking for.

Tim Morton
09-25-2004, 2:59 PM
Have you looked into iTunes? I use that from my computer pumped thru a receiver and into speakers in my shop. it is free and comes for mac or if you must, it will work on a PC. The only drawback to XM is the monthly charge.

Larry Browning
09-25-2004, 4:01 PM
Have you looked into iTunes? I use that from my computer pumped thru a receiver and into speakers in my shop. it is free and comes for mac or if you must, it will work on a PC. The only drawback to XM is the monthly charge.

Tim, I am completely mac illiterate, heck, I don't even know how to spell MAK or is it MAC? But hooking up a computer (PC) to an existing stereo sounds like something I might want to do. Is there special hardware to buy?

Larry Browning
09-25-2004, 4:08 PM
Larry,

Just check around for folks tossing a stereo. I had a guy at work GIVE me a digital tuner, receiver, Equalizer and two nice large speakers for FREE. This thing had great sound and tone quality and would blow you out of the shop.!!! I should know....we used to have "stereo wars" in the barracks and I at least one two of the many competitions we had. ;) :D

Dennis,
Thinking about it, I think I gave away my old stereo to a fellow worker about 10 years ago myself. Maybe he will give it back to me :D.
Actually, if I could figure out how to get radio over the internet without too much trouble. Like maybe an "internet radio receiver" (if there is such a thing) that is operated something like a regular radio. That would be good.

Larry

Tim Morton
09-25-2004, 5:13 PM
Tim, I am completely mac illiterate, heck, I don't even know how to spell MAK or is it MAC? But hooking up a computer (PC) to an existing stereo sounds like something I might want to do. Is there special hardware to buy?

You might want to buy something like this(I did)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006I601/002-0007733-0169635?v=glance

other than that its plug and play...don't worry about the "mac" thing...they ported itunes for the PC :D
http://www.apple.com/itunes/

Brian Hale
09-25-2004, 10:30 PM
There are a LOT of radio stations that broadcast their programs on the internet plus there are several internet only stations. Windows Media player is all you need, no fees...

Do a google search for the stations you want to listen to and see if they broadcast....

Brian

Larry Browning
09-25-2004, 11:20 PM
Brian,
I want something that is as simple to operate as a radio. With a computer, you need to boot it up, start up your browser, go to the right web site, click here, click there... With a radio you just turn it on and instant tunes. This is what I am looking for, a no hastle solution. I just thought that maybe there were other options besides a traditional stereo. I am familiar with real player, musicmatch, winamp, etc, but I view those as a hastle to get going as compared to a radio. I am thinking that I could maybe take advantage of the broadband connection I have with some sort of "internet radio" device. Do you think something like that exists?
The computer I have in the shop is the one I had 2 computers ago. It's a p133 running win98 with 96k ram, it works great for posting on SMC and doing goggle searches, but it seems to be a little under powered for playing music. I have read a little about satellite radio and internet radio. I was just wondering if anyone had experience with them.

Brian Hale
09-26-2004, 6:49 AM
I've not heard of any "internet radio" options that don't use a computer but that would be cool. (Perhaps Al Gore will get something started there :rolleyes: ).

Sirius Satellite radio has a car/home/mobile option which includes a boombox that runs on batteries or 110AC. The service is $13/month plus $150 for the equipment. We've talked about this for when we retire and do a lot more traveling but thats 7 years from now.

https://home.sirius.com/shop/bundledetail.asp?productsID=1199

For me, i'd look into CD changer or MP3 player that i can plug into a nice stereo. Celtic and hard rock music i enjoy working to, talk radio distractes me too easliy.

Let us know what you come up with....

Brian

Larry Browning
09-26-2004, 8:32 AM
Brian,
I found this on amazon. However, It looks like it may not work too well.
Internet radio link (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005N5WP/qid=1096200858/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_5/103-1246508-8730206?v=glance&s=electronics)

I think that maybe satellite radio looks better. Maybe I should just find a good antenna and just a traditional compact stereo with a remote.

[edit]
I was doing a search on amazon looking for a small traditional stereo and found this:Phillips MCM530 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000278KKI/qid=1096201746/sr=1-6/ref=sr_1_6/103-1246508-8730206?v=glance&s=electronics) At first look it seems to have the best of both. I can use it as a traditional stereo and if I ever upgrade my shop computer, I can hook it up to that. Hmmm, I think more research is in order here.

Brian Hale
09-26-2004, 9:08 AM
Yes, looks like it still requires a computer and/or internet as it mentions getting the braodband connection "through your home network". I'd guess it's a usb type device.

If your can justify the $13/month than satellite might be the way to go and with all the stuff you get in the package, you'll have it in the car also. If you go that route i'd be very interested in your impressions.....

Brian :)

Larry Browning
09-26-2004, 10:52 AM
Yes, looks like it still requires a computer and/or internet as it mentions getting the braodband connection "through your home network". I'd guess it's a usb type device.

If your can justify the $13/month than satellite might be the way to go and with all the stuff you get in the package, you'll have it in the car also. If you go that route i'd be very interested in your impressions.....

Brian :)

XM radio has a similar deal only I think it is 9.95 a month. I do kinda like the idea of being able to take it in the car for long trips.

Larry Browning
09-29-2004, 1:57 PM
Hey Brian,
I have been doing some more research on the idea of an "internet radio" I have found this at amazon:
Philips MC!250 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00009RTBU/ref=pd_sbs_e_1/104-5080683-5306366?v=glance&s=electronics)

This may be exactly what I am looking for. Frome I can tell it will connect directly to my network and access internet radio without going through and PC.

Dean Baumgartner
09-29-2004, 2:16 PM
Larry,
Here's another thought..won't do anything for your desire to listen to sports or radio but if messing with multiple cd's is something you want to get away from, several of the newer boom boxes play both analog cd's and will also read mp3's. The benefits of this are that your original cd stays in the house so that it doesn't get damaged in the shop and the really big one is that as mp3's depending on the sampling rate you can get 10-15 cd's worth of music on 1 cd in mp3 format. Doing this I can put one cd full of mp3's in my boom box and it will run all day without repeating or having to change the disc.

Dean

Larry Browning
09-29-2004, 6:21 PM
Larry,
Here's another thought..won't do anything for your desire to listen to sports or radio but if messing with multiple cd's is something you want to get away from, several of the newer boom boxes play both analog cd's and will also read mp3's. The benefits of this are that your original cd stays in the house so that it doesn't get damaged in the shop and the really big one is that as mp3's depending on the sampling rate you can get 10-15 cd's worth of music on 1 cd in mp3 format. Doing this I can put one cd full of mp3's in my boom box and it will run all day without repeating or having to change the disc.

Dean
Actually I don't have that big of a CD collection and I don't have much of the music I like. So radio is a better option for me. Did you look at the system I had a link to? I think it is really cool. It may be just the ticket. It looks to me like it will play internet radio without going thru another computer.

Larry

Larry Browning
10-06-2004, 11:56 PM
I ordered the Philips MCi250 from Amazon and it came in today. It was exactly what I had hoped it would be. It connected to the internet perfectly and plays internet radio just great! I have hooked it up wired, but is should work wireless just as well. This thing is really cool! You can customize your stations from their web site.

Greg Griswold
10-07-2004, 7:27 PM
Larry,

I have a Sirius satalite radio and LOVE it. I got the car kit and the boom box adapter. I like it because of the content.

Several of the fellows that I work with, who live in remote areas of Arizona, have Sirius or XM satalite radios and are very happy with them. For them, it is a matter of reception.

It is nice to tune in a station, while travelling, and not have to try to find a new station every 100 miles.

For your shop, if you get the receiver and the boom box adapter, you will be able to listen to the radio (almost any kind of station/content that you would like) and have it be nice and clear. Check out www.serius.com or www.xmradio.com to see the content available and any special offers.

Good luck

Greg

Chris Padilla
10-07-2004, 7:30 PM
Greg,

Do they have sports' broadcasting as well? Living in California, I'd love to be able to pick up a Denver sport's station to listen to the Broncos on those Sundays they don't show the game here in the Bay Area...which is all too often for me! :(

Larry Browning
10-07-2004, 9:22 PM
Greg,
For me I think I will like the internet radio better, because I can get every kind of music I could ever want comercial free and there is no subscription fee. The sound quality is great. Most of the stations have a feature where you can skip to the next song if you don't like the one currently playing.
Chris,
If you want to listen to a station in Colorado and the also broadcast on the internet, (most do) you just need to enter in the stations URL into your profile on the web site and you can listen to it just like any other internet radio station . I'm telling you this thing is killer :D

Larry

Jim O'Dell
10-09-2004, 10:49 PM
Man, you guy's are WAY TO HITECH for me! I have an old analog Mazda am/fm/cass with 2 amplifiers that came out of an RX-7 years ago when I installed stereos for a living. 2 small bookshelf speakers, a 12 volt transformer, and a powered antenna (like for a boat) and I have all the tunes I need. Jim.