PDA

View Full Version : how do you guys install mobile bases?

Josh Brouse
10-24-2009, 9:02 PM
I bought a used powermatic 15 planer and i want to put a mobile base under it and was hoping to hear a easy way. The only thing that i can think of is to put a strap under it and use some sort of crane or hoist. but does anyone have a "tada" way?

Thanks

Mike Heidrick
10-24-2009, 9:08 PM
Deere 3320, pallet forks on the loader, lifting strap, TADA!

Jason White
10-24-2009, 9:12 PM
Rent an engine hoist.

Cost me about $30 for the day.

Jason

I bought a used powermatic 15 planer and i want to put a mobile base under it and was hoping to hear a easy way. The only thing that i can think of is to put a strap under it and use some sort of crane or hoist. but does anyone have a "tada" way?

Thanks

Cary Falk
10-24-2009, 9:40 PM
I have put things on mobile bases by rocking up one end and putting a 2x6 under it. rocking up the other side and putting a 2,6 under the other side. Keep this up till you are high enough. rock up one side and slide the mobile base under one side. once you get one side in the base you can usually slide the rest of it in. I have done it with my Unisaw, bandsaw, and sander.

Bruce Page
10-24-2009, 9:50 PM
I have put things on mobile bases by rocking up one end and putting a 2x6 under it. rocking up the other side and putting a 2,6 under the other side. Keep this up till you are high enough. rock up one side and slide the mobile base under one side. once you get one side in the base you can usually slide the rest of it in. I have done it with my Unisaw, bandsaw, and sander.

I've done it the same way using scrap pieces of wood, in fact, I put my PM15 on it's base this way.

Denny Rice
10-24-2009, 10:02 PM
+1 for Cary and Bruce.........It has always worked for me. If you haven't purchased your mobile bases yet Woodcraft sells a really good mobile base and all you have to do is cut a 3/4" piece of plywood to size the mobile base.

Paul Ryan
10-24-2009, 10:33 PM
+2 For Cary and Bruce's method. It has always worked for me. If you have a big thick base like Jason's it would be much harder using the tip method. If you have a store bought base, it works slick.

Andy Sowers
10-24-2009, 10:54 PM
+3 for Cary and Bruce's method... One tip though... make sure you block the wheels on the base to prevent them from uncontrollably skating across the shop.

Luciano Burtini
10-24-2009, 11:57 PM
Several years ago, I put a large Rockwell 22-401 on a mobile base by myself in a couple of minutes. Put a 4x4 through the throat, rested one end on the work bench (over a leg) and picked up the other end (think second class lever). If I remember right, I used a jackall to lift the 4x4, but the weight was negligible - could easily have been lifted by hand. While the planer is airborne, push the mobile base underneath then lower away. This planer is somewhere around 400-500 lbs.

You want to make sure you are bearing on the cutter head and pressure rollers, not the blades.

http://owwm.com/PhotoIndex/images/6394-A.jpg

Roger Pozzi
10-25-2009, 7:03 AM
I explained my dilemma to my neighbor. He left, came back with a friend (read gorilla), they just lifted it up while I placed the base under it. Ta Da!!!

Brian Penning
10-25-2009, 7:18 AM
A case of 24 and 4 buddies. Of course, I was the guy who placed the base while they lifted :)

Yitah Wu
10-26-2009, 8:18 AM
+1 for Cary and Bruce.........It has always worked for me. If you haven't purchased your mobile bases yet Woodcraft sells a really good mobile base and all you have to do is cut a 3/4" piece of plywood to size the mobile base.

I assume you are referencing this

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005114/8164/Universal-Mobile-Base-Hardware.aspx

Just scored one yesterday - for $45!!

It's normally 75, on sale starting 10/31 for $50, but there is a 10% coupon on their current flyer

I called over the phone and asked if they would honor the ad and coupon early and they said yes.

Third one I have - the other two are under my Ridgid 6-1/8 planer and my homemade router table with the 1/2" solid aluminum top.

Mike Cruz
10-26-2009, 10:28 PM
My secret is to put them UNDER the equipment. :D

I'm 6' 1" 205. I have a neighbor that is 6' 3" 220. When I need to do something like this (even with my 15" planer), I usually just call him and clink a couple of beer bottles together over the phone....then I sit back and wait to hear the rubber on the gravel driveway...

Denny Rice
10-26-2009, 10:33 PM
I assume you are referencing this

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005114/8164/Universal-Mobile-Base-Hardware.aspx

Just scored one yesterday - for $45!!

It's normally 75, on sale starting 10/31 for $50, but there is a 10% coupon on their current flyer

I called over the phone and asked if they would honor the ad and coupon early and they said yes.

Third one I have - the other two are under my Ridgid 6-1/8 planer and my homemade router table with the 1/2" solid aluminum top.

YES! These mobile bases are great..........