PDA

View Full Version : Turning while sitting?

Robert Parrish
10-24-2009, 7:17 PM
Does anyone sit while they turn? I'm having serious Gout problems with my feet and have not been able to work in my shop for 2 weeks. If I stand for a few minutes my pain returns so I was wondering if I could turn while sitting. I'm taking all the usual remedies for Gout but nothing is working very quickly. I have had these attacks before and they can take from 2-4 weeks to subside.

Chris Stolicky
10-24-2009, 7:40 PM
I haven't tried it myself, but I have seen people sit on stools and turn. I guess it kind of depends of what you want to turn - small things and spindle turning would be easier than something like a bowl. You arms might get a bit tired from reaching out more than usual.

Of course, there is a pricey option - the Oneway sit down lathe:
http://www.oneway.ca/lathes/1236SDlathe.htm

but a stool it much more affordable though.

Get well soon.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-24-2009, 7:47 PM
I haven't but I believe Oneway makes a lathe that is designed just for that purpose. I believe it wa Oneway.

alex carey
10-24-2009, 8:58 PM
On my powermatic 3520B I sit on my bed extension while doing bowls and vases.

Robert Parrish
10-24-2009, 9:13 PM
I have a Jet 16-42 and I was thinking of only turning pens and bottle stoppers for now using a stool. I'm not sure how safe this would be!

Jack Brown
10-24-2009, 9:45 PM
Robert,
I sit and turn most of the time. I use a secretary chair with casters for ease of movement and use a low stand that I built for my mini lathe. (See attachment.)
Jack

Jack Mincey
10-24-2009, 10:21 PM
I hollow my HF's sitting on an adjustable stool on the outboard end of my lathe. I can adjust the stool so that my arm is the perfect height for my arm brace handle I use for hollowing HF's. I saves my back.
Jack

alex carey
10-24-2009, 10:31 PM
jack that is very cool. Love that lathe stand.

Steve Schlumpf
10-24-2009, 11:13 PM
Robert - I have a Jet 1642 but installed a ballast box under it for stability. Without that box in place - a stool would fit real nice and you can slide the headstock down so everything is centered. Doing pens and small items - you won't have to do a lot of wild swings with your arms - so the stool option should work just fine for you!

Hope you get better soon!

Tom Wilson66
10-24-2009, 11:45 PM
I have to sit and turn on my Jet mini all the time. Can't stand for very long without getting pain in my legs. I use a drafting stool, since it is slightly higher than the secretary or office chairs, that make it easier to get up and down, don't have so far to go;). I also built a lower stand for may lathe, the top also rotates competely over, and have my scroll saw on the other side. Takes up a lot less shop space:).

curtis rosche
10-25-2009, 8:59 PM
i read a couple things about it, you have to make sure that if you are using a chair that is has wheels, otherwise if you need to move quickly because of a peice flying or something you will end up falling off and on the floor with a possible injury.
when hollowing peices at school i would "ride the lathe" everyone thought it looked so weird, but it made hollowing so much easier

gary Zimmel
10-25-2009, 9:31 PM
Vicmarc also makes a sit down lathe.
The VL200 sit down.

Like the Oneway it is most likely pricey.

Olaf Krause
10-28-2009, 12:48 PM
http://www.sitzdrechseln.de (http://www.sitzdrechseln.de/)

Sorry, but I don't speak English...