PDA

View Full Version : A minor problem with my Delta 6" jointer!

Rick Dennington
10-24-2009, 6:50 PM
Hi all:
Ok-- here's the deal. I have a Delta 6" Deluxe jointer that I've had since the mid '90s. Ever since I got it, it throws dust and chips on the i.f and o.f tables, and on me. The shute gets clogged up w/ chips, and backs up to the knives. There is a "foam strip" just below the knoves that suppose to prevent this. When I first got the jointer, I called Delta, and they said "You have to replace the sticky-back strip below the knives. That keeps it from doing that". They sent me 4 of these pieces of crap, and a P>I>T>A> to replace. You have to reach all the way up into the shute, tear the old strip out, and put the new one in--- all the while you can't see to do it. A blind man in the dark!! It's never cured it. The jointer has a 4" port, runs about 20-25 ft. to the d.c. I have a Delta 1200 cfm d.c., and it handles all the rest of my machines with no problem. Just short of selling this sucker, and getting a 8" or a DJ20, tell me how to fix it, if there is one. For a long time now, I removed the dust port, no hook-up, and let the chips fall on the floor. I still have to vacumn up the crap, and another P>I>T>A>. With my bad back, this just ain't working. This is the only machine I have this problem with. It cuts smooth as glass, everything is copasetic,except that!!! Put on your thinkin caps, find a solution or fix, and I'll be waiting!!.

mickey cassiba
10-24-2009, 8:57 PM
I'm thniking you have the JT360, although it could be the old -190. Both were sold as a "Deluxe" jointer. DC capability was nil...take off the hose connector and buy a big broom and scoop. The only alternative is to buy a cabinet base that goes with the -295 (it'll bolt up with very minor mods. move two bolt holes and you're done.)No Delta jointer has ever had exceptional DC capability.Unless you are running a high vacuum system, We've got an 8" delta DJ 20 hooked up to a 2500 cfm dedicated extractor, but the supplied port was only 6".WE still had to pull off the hose and rod it out. Upsized to a n 8" port aon it cleaned out fine. Jointer shavings are fluffy and clog small hoses.The 6" Deluxe jointer only has a 4" exhaust port.
Mickey

Rick Dennington
10-24-2009, 11:53 PM
Mickey: Thanks for the reply. I do have the old model 190, and it never has had good dust extraction. I guess I'll have to live with it. I do have a big broom and scoop!!! lol.

paul cottingham
10-25-2009, 2:35 AM
I have the x series 6 in. jointer and it does the same thing. I thought I had damaged it, so I am both relieved and annoyed to read your post.

It sure was weird to see all that dust whirling up from the blade.

Rick Fisher
10-25-2009, 3:05 AM
I had a 6" Delta X that did the same thing. The area around the cutter was clogged up..

When I cleaned it up and connected the DC... it worked great after that..

I think it was a 2001 model ??

I replaced it for more width and power.. otherwise, it was okay..

Rick Dennington
10-26-2009, 1:41 AM
I guess it doesn't matter what jointer you have, it's gonna throw sawdust on the beds, and not get ionto the d.c. good. I disconnected the hose and let it go to the floor, and sweep it up later. Now I use a garbage bag taped to the chute. Just have to live with it, I guess.