PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Nickels

Dave Yanke
10-24-2009, 5:41 PM
These are sometimes called "Signature Medallions.

Has anybody done these in Corel? As a newer user to Corel, I still fight it a bit from time to time, especially the curves and was wondering if someone had a template.

Also, My material I think is a tad too thick, approaching a 3/8. Can you do dbl cuts with the lasers or do you need to readjust table height between each cut?

Gary Hair
10-24-2009, 6:03 PM
Dave,
I have done quite a few wooden nickel type pieces. I simply drew a 1.5" circle and then put together whatever the customer wanted from there. If you need to do both sides then you'll have to make a template of some sort so you can laser both sides and still have everything centered.

I use 3/32" alder thins from Johnson Plastics but you can use almost anything you want. 3/8" is way too thick, in my opinion. If you try to cut it in two passes you'll just end up with charred edges, you will with one pass, but even worse with two. Buy some thinner material and you'll be happier with the results.

Gary

Keith Outten
10-24-2009, 6:28 PM
Dave,

There are a lot of threads here on the subject and I uploaded a template in one of them. Search on the keyword medallion.

Dave Yanke
10-24-2009, 7:20 PM
Dave,

There are a lot of threads here on the subject and I uploaded a template in one of them. Search on the keyword medallion.

6 pages in the search, I still couldn't find anything. Do you perhaps remember the thread?

I am looking more for an example of lining up the curvature than anything else.

Dave Yanke
10-24-2009, 7:22 PM
Dave,
I have done quite a few wooden nickel type pieces. I simply drew a 1.5" circle and then put together whatever the customer wanted from there. If you need to do both sides then you'll have to make a template of some sort so you can laser both sides and still have everything centered.

I use 3/32" alder thins from Johnson Plastics but you can use almost anything you want. 3/8" is way too thick, in my opinion. If you try to cut it in two passes you'll just end up with charred edges, you will with one pass, but even worse with two. Buy some thinner material and you'll be happier with the results.

Gary

DO NOT MULTI TASK WHILE TYPING!

I meant to say 3/16, not 3/8. Sorry.

Dee Gallo
10-24-2009, 7:57 PM
Dave,

Are you trying to attach text to a path (like a circle)? If that's the problem, just make a circle and click on the text tool. Move the cursor to touch the circle and you'll see the cursor change to a wiggly line. Click and type.

To make it go along the bottom, just click on the reflect boxes along the top of the window. Dragging the red triangle lets you move the text along the circle line.

If that's not the problem, ignore this post!

:) dee

Steven Resnick
10-24-2009, 8:05 PM
I think this is the thread Keith was speaking off

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=8428&highlight=medallions

Steven