PDA

View Full Version : Hand saw handles

David Christopher
10-24-2009, 5:29 PM
I posted awhile back with a picture of a handsaw that my grandpa had and another saw, a newer diston with a plastic handle, well I got both saws sharpened and made handles for them. these saws cut great now even the so called cheap diston. the saw from grandpa has a BE maple handle and the diston has a paduck handle. BTW saw handles are a lot harder to make than it looks like (alot of filling and sanding)

critiques welcome
thanks for looking

jim sauterer
10-24-2009, 8:43 PM
great job dave.they sure look hard to make but they sure look great.

Jeff Skory
10-24-2009, 10:54 PM
Beautiful. I guessed that it would probably be a fair bit of work but I'm hoping the rewards are worth it. Making a saw handle or two is definitely on my near-term todo list. I'm hoping for a couple of nice rasps for my b-day next week or for christmas.

Jim Koepke
10-25-2009, 1:55 AM
I really like the one of paduck, that is a pretty wood.

jim

Keith Christopher
10-25-2009, 10:22 AM
Ok...that is cool. Great job on them !

Garth Keel
10-25-2009, 11:44 AM
All of them. How could you choose? Interesting hole design on the last one.

Harlan Barnhart
10-25-2009, 2:34 PM
I really like the one of paduck, that is a pretty wood.

jim
Very true. I have never seen paduck up close but that is stunning. Was it difficult to work compared to the maple?

David Christopher
10-25-2009, 3:39 PM
Very true. I have never seen paduck up close but that is stunning. Was it difficult to work compared to the maple?

It is a lot easier to work with that maple....the only problem is you get orange dust everywhere

derek sikes
10-25-2009, 8:20 PM
BTW saw handles are a lot harder to make than it looks like (alot of filling and sanding)

Those look great.