PDA

View Full Version : About HTC mfg....

Vince Shriver
10-24-2009, 5:25 PM
A few months ago, I ordered up a custom mobile base (HTC) for an old iron table saw I'm refurbishing from a local machine/tool distributor. After talking with the mgr. about the deminsions that I wanted, he wrote up the order and I paid him in advance for the unit. Six weeks later the mobile base arrived at the point of sale. However, after inspecting it, it was evident that the piece was not at all what I had anticipated, and was for all practical purposes simply useless. The mgr was adament that what was delivered was what I had asked for - I disagreed. As a solution, he said he would "fix" the base by cutting and welding this to that to make it right (at no cost). Stupidly, I acquiesced to that, and then brought the cobbled up thing home. It was not until several months later that I was about to mount the saw on the base, when - after taking a close look at what I had - figured out that even with the "fix" the unit was ill-suited for what I needed.

So rather than deal with the mgr of the tool outlet again (at this point I did not have a real positive feeling about him), I decided to call HTC directly with my sad story. The customer service people patiently listen to my predicament, and after getting the name & tele # of the tool distributor, said he'd get back to me. And he did! He said this: "we feel we manufacture excellent products and we want our customers to be satisified. We are going to make you a new custom mobile base at our cost."

They requested I make a measured drawing of exactly what I wanted based upon any of the several designs they have on their website. I did that, and a few days later I received a scaled drawing of my scetch for final approval. To cut to the chase, today I received my new mobile base and it is perfect!

HTC - You are the best and folks should know that. Thank you, gentlemen.

Allen Hinton
10-24-2009, 6:35 PM
I am glad to hear someone speaking up for a good retailer. It seems we only hear about a companies quality when they hose something up. Way to go HTC!

Andrew Schlosser
10-24-2009, 8:23 PM
HTC- hanging in there from Detroit MI! (actually Fair Haven, about 15 miles north of Sterling Heights). They used to be in Royal Oak.

Mike Heidrick
10-24-2009, 9:13 PM
I ordered a closeout base. It was delivered and not what I wanted. I called back to order the correct base. They credited me the full price of the closeout base, told me to keep it, and gave me free shipping on the new base as I had paid shipping on the last base. Definately the right place to order from for custom bases and bases made exact for a particular machine.

Now to be fair in the whole story - you will pay choice coin for a custom base. You want to be happy when it arrives and they want you to be as well!

Ron Bontz
10-25-2009, 12:21 AM
The few times I have dealt with HTC, they have been excellent.:)

Tom Welch
10-25-2009, 12:10 PM
They also make a fine mobile base. I own one and also a shop fox. The HTC quality is light years ahead of the shop fox.

Ben Franz
10-25-2009, 1:44 PM
A few years ago, SWMBO tried to park her car in the shop. Apparently, she confused the area with a structure that, I think, has historically been called a "garage". Perhaps it was the door being closed at the time, hiding all the machinery, that caused the problem. One resulting casualty was my HTC planer stand with the older Delta Invicta planer mounted. The planer wasn't damaged but the stand had several bent pieces. One call to HTC customer service was all it took to order exact replacement parts. The paint color was one or two shades different but perfectly acceptable. Kudos to HTC.

The wrecker driver we called to extract the car had some great stories about similar accidents - the worst one was about a lady that drove a new Cadillac through the door, through the back wall of the garage, into the pool. Luckily, neither she nor SWMBO were injured.

Dave Sweeney
10-25-2009, 4:38 PM
The nice thing about stories like this one is that you pretty well know that they're true. Many of the negative type rants you see so many of have a ring of "this is not really the manufacturers fault but I'll never admit I made a mistake".

Dave Lehnert
10-25-2009, 5:46 PM
Thats for the post.
Knowing a company will take care of you is important. When ordering on-line a person is always afraid that the product is not as expected. If they won't help you out you are out the money.

A company return policy is on top of my list when making a purchase. But I almost never return anything.