PDA

View Full Version : Lines in photo on granite.

Roger McDowell
10-24-2009, 3:47 PM
I just did my first photo on granite tile. I processes it through PhotoGrav and burned it at 30P 50S 300DPI on a 50W ULS. It came out pretty decent despite the inherrent grainyness of the tile. There are two distinct dark horizontal lines through the engraving that are not on the photo. It looks like the laser failed to fire on those lines. Any ideas what would cause such a defect?

Tom Bull
10-24-2009, 11:50 PM
I have just developed the opposite problem on my Legend. It is doubling up on lines. Actually it looks like the machine fails to advance a step and fires in the same place twice. I am going to call Epilog Mon. and see what they have to say.

Frank Corker
10-25-2009, 8:11 AM
On the Epilog laser this is sometimes caused by dirty encoder strips. The cleaning method can be found in the manual and very easy to do.

Kevin Baker
10-26-2009, 6:20 AM
Call your ULS Rep.. I had kinda the same problem and it turned out to be a loose sprocket screw... gave it a quick little turn and problem gone...

Brian Jacobs
10-26-2009, 10:45 AM
Roger,

This may be a long shot, but a few months ago, I had the same problem. After spending several hours and 'too many' ruined marble pieces, I finally noticed that my auto z-axis checkbox was 'magically' turned off. The table never moved from the previous job and was approx. .25" out of focus even though I entered the correct depth. Since the engravings 'seemed' to be in focus, I didn't immediately think to check this. Might want to double-check z-axis calibration and table movement.

Also, in checking with the ULS rep, this problem could be a 'tube tuning' issue. Don't hesitate to call tech support if you've checked all the software settings.

David Arana
10-26-2009, 9:13 PM
I had a similar issue when I first got my laser. I called epilog.
It turned out that I simply needed to update the firmware.