PDA

View Full Version : delta rockwell 18" planer

Bill Desoto
10-24-2009, 11:30 AM
Hello everyone, question on wedgebed planer. any one have suggestions on how to check/adjust the two end frames to insure the correct alignment of cutterhead bearing bores.Seems to me they should have been dowled from factory but are not. Thanks and have a good weekend. Bill

Dave Cav
10-24-2009, 3:43 PM
The best place to take this question would be the Old Woodworking Machines sites. There are two OWWM sites. The dot com site is the wiki and machinery info, the dot org site is where you'll find the forum.

Simon Dupay
10-24-2009, 3:49 PM
Go to owwm.org lots of info.

Rick Lizek
10-25-2009, 7:09 PM
Not sure I understand your question. I have extensive knowledge of that planer as I have one and several friends also have them, not to mention I have serviced this machine in many schools over the past 25 years. I've literally had them completely apart. An excellent machine overall. Alignment of the end frames has never been an issue in accuracy. Put a square against the frame to align the head if you have taken it apart to that extent.

Steven Satur
10-25-2009, 7:28 PM
I know just what you mean. I had my planer totally taken apart, and when I was putting it back togeather, I had the same problem. I just kept the bolts hand tight, made the right and left hand side in the same position on the base,then tightened the bolts. I do have a problem with the bed. It looks to me that the bed sticks out more in the rear then the front. To me I think that it an even amount front and back.

Rick Lizek
10-26-2009, 6:21 AM
I know just what you mean. I had my planer totally taken apart, and when I was putting it back togeather, I had the same problem. I just kept the bolts hand tight, made the right and left hand side in the same position on the base,then tightened the bolts. I do have a problem with the bed. It looks to me that the bed sticks out more in the rear then the front. To me I think that it an even amount front and back.

The bed sticking out in the front or the back doesn't affect the performance of the machine.

If one takes the machine apart to that degree there is one thing that should stick out like a sore thumb but hasn't been mentioned. On every machine I've worked on I've made a slight modification to fix the issue. I'll wait to see if anyone notices it. I can't see how one could miss it! Call it a test.

Steven Satur
10-26-2009, 7:25 AM
The guide block bolted to the bed?