PDA

View Full Version : PC sander model 371 experience

Don Jeansonne
10-24-2009, 10:30 AM
I am looking for a new belt sander and the Porter Cable Model 371 with a 2.5 x 14 inch belt seems very nice.
I like that it is a smaller size that looks easier to handle.

Does anyone have any experience with this model and how available are the 2.5 x 14 belts?

mickey cassiba
10-24-2009, 10:43 AM
This model was just hitting the streets when B&D and I parted ways. As it was in the handtool section, I didn't get to work with them much, but saw an awful lot come through on their way to the recon station in Mexico. A lot of oil leaks is what I noticed. That was the type 1, I notice there is already a type 2, which probably addressed that problem.
As to belt availability, I've seen them at my local DW service center, but as I don't own one I, haven't really noticed them at the HD or Lowes.
I too like the small size, and may yet pick one up.
Mickey

glenn bradley
10-24-2009, 11:06 AM
Dad has one and loves the small, light aspect. Many have reported heat problems but I wonder if this comes from asking a small unit to do a big job. As in; are these the same people who say their Bosch Colts get too hot to hold? Because mine never has. Dad has said the 371 gets warm but, you do hold it by the body and not a handle. He is a doctor and has pretty sensitive skin from washing his hands a bazillion times a day for 50 years so, him saying "warm" usually means you and I wouldn't notice.

Chris Kennedy
10-24-2009, 12:02 PM
I have the 371 and it is great. For a while I was able to get the belts at Home Depot, but they seem to have disappeared recently. I haven't checked my Lowes, but now they are carrying PC, they may have it.

I haven't had any heat issues. I've used it for smoothing very rough boards, and it hasn't had any problems.

Cheers,

Chris

Simon Dupay
10-24-2009, 3:48 PM
Handy little devils to have around I wouldn't have it has my only belt sander though. They do get hot because of the small belt and can't be run for long periods of time.