PDA

View Full Version : An Alternative to Rockler's Router Table Sled

Rick Hubbard
10-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Not long ago I was at a Rockler store and spotted their router table sled. It seemed like a pretty good set up, but I decided to try building my own version (thinking of course that I could save some money AND maybe incorporate some new features). Here are some pictures of what I came up with.

I used ¾ inch plywood for the table base. From Rockler I bought an 18 inch miter bar that fits in the slot on my router table. I also buried two pieces of Rockler T Track in the sled base the purpose of which is to hold the two adjustable clamps, which in turn “lock down” the stock being routed. All this is pretty much standard stuff for any router table sled.

Two things make this sled a little unique. First, I routed an inset that permits the use of replaceable zero-clearance inserts (that I made from 3/8 inch AC plywood). Second, I designed the back of the fence so that I could use adjustable index pins of various sizes for routing precisely spaced dados.

The first picture (11) shows the completed sled with three of the ZC inserts;
The second picture (12) shows the table with the hold-down clamps in place;
The third picture (13) shows an assortment of indexing blocks that mount behind the fence with the index pin protruding under the fence (4 sizes);
The fourth picture (14) is a close up showing the ¼ index pin mounted so that dados can be cut exactly 2 inches apart from one another;
The fifth picture (15) shows the indexing block mounted on the sled.

I didn’t keep track of the total cost since most of the materials was stuff I had laying around the shop but I’d estimate it could be built for around half of what the Rockler version cost. Also, not that the Rockler version has an adjustable rear fence (for cutting angled dados) while mine does not.

Rick Hubbard
10-24-2009, 10:27 AM
The first picture (17) shows a piece of stock held in place with a dado already cut through it;
The second picture (18) shows the stock after the second cut. Notice that the first cut was placed over the idex pin and then the next cut was made after securing the work piece;
The third picture (19) shows the position of the work piece (tipped on edge) prior to making the third cut.

glenn bradley
10-24-2009, 11:20 AM
Very cool and well thought out Rick. Thanks for taking the time to post all the pics.

Randal Stevenson
10-24-2009, 2:21 PM
Rick, how big did you make the opening under the zero clearance insert? Does it feel too flexible over the width of the base?

Rick Hubbard
10-24-2009, 4:10 PM
Hi Randall-

I started the opening under the ZCI by drilling a 7/8 inch hole all the way through the base. The hole is located 2 3/4 inch from the leading edge of the table-base. I then centered the 7/8 inch hole over a 3/4 inch straight cut router bit mounted in the table (this also gave me the opportunity to mount the miter slot guide in the correct position and to attach it to the base). After the guide was mounted I pushed the base over the bit (using 3 or passes) to a distance 4 inches from the trailing edge of the base. After that was complete, I cut some 3 inch pieces of 1/4 inch AC plywood and then routed a 3 inch wide recess into the table base so the ZCIs would fit flush with the top.

As far as stiffness- no I haven’t noticed any flex at all. I’m sure that the integrity of the plywood base hasn’t been compromised excessively since half the thickness of it is still intact at the leading edge. In addition, the 5/4 X 2 1/2 maple back-fence helps a lot too.

If you have more questions feel free to ask.

BTW, I've added a couple more shots showing the base with the ZCIs removed.

Rick

Vince Shriver
10-24-2009, 7:13 PM
Great innovation. Nice clean well planned sled.