PDA

View Full Version : Attaching 1/4" ply to melamine

Frank Shannon
10-24-2009, 10:13 AM
I need to attach 1/4" hardwood ply to 3/4 melamine for the side of a refrigerator cabinet that will show. Sort of like a veneer. The size is 93" by 32". I can use fasteners at the edge all around, but not in the middle. I can't lay it flat, it's already assembled and the surface is vertical. I can clamp all around the edge except at the bottom. It's pretty sturdy so I can use a j roller. I need it to be solid, to sound solid in the center when you tap it so I suppose I need to glue it.

There may be problems with doing this at all, expansion, warping whatever. But it's too late for than now, it's got to happen, the die is cast.

Jamie Buxton
10-24-2009, 11:24 AM
You could use contact cement if you're comfortable with it. Or you could use construction adhesive. There are even versions of construction adhesive intended for installing panelling, which is what you're doing. The j-roller idea is a good one in either case.

Mark Boyette
10-25-2009, 11:22 AM
contact cement for sure. works great for this.
Mark.

Vince Shriver
10-25-2009, 11:32 AM
Probably a good idea to take a belt sander to the substrate to rough it up before applying the adhesive (or contact cement). Remove all the dust first, tho.

Dave Lash
10-26-2009, 11:22 AM
You could use Locktite Power Grab, they have several different varieties, and it is avaliable at HD. I have used the Tub Surround version for a variety of uses and it does grab and hold what ever you are attaching without clamps as long as the parts mate correctly. I installed 60 feet of plastic base board (I know real wood would be better) in a house by applying two strips of adheasive and applying it to the wall with hand pressure, only needed 6 finishing nails where the wall dipped more than normal.

Frank Shannon
10-26-2009, 8:08 PM
I went with the contact cement and it seems to have worked well. The original plan was a magnetic black board since she is losing the side of the refrigerator for her stuff. This was a last minute revision to the Grand Plan.

Ken Platt
10-26-2009, 8:25 PM
Roo Glue bonds wood to melamine. Not especially expensive, although probably more than contact cement. Good open time, and you can reposition the workpiece, which I don't think is true for contact. No particular smell; water washup. Good stuff for melamine work.

Ken