PDA

View Full Version : What router to use for hand held edge routing

dennis thompson
10-24-2009, 10:02 AM
I'm looking for a smallish, lightweight router to use mostly for hand held edge routing, I'd like one that has a light shining on the work. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Dennis

Kent A Bathurst
10-24-2009, 10:14 AM
I like my Makita 3707. Lightweight, good power, easy to handle, has the light - which was a factor in my purchase, height adjustment absolutely sucks but I've learned to live with that. Don't know exactly what you are doing, but I use mine for things like roundover pass on edges, routing 1/16" slots for inlay, things like that.

glenn bradley
10-24-2009, 11:39 AM
Edge routing usually involves a guide for me so, a light did not factor in to my decisions. You don't state if you are edge routing tables or furniture pieces which involve short durations or counter tops that may be all day runs which is another story.

My Bosch VS Colt does more than you would expect it to be able to and I reach for it often. With a Pat Warner offset base I find it handles most of my furniture legs, tops, and detail work. I have a small herd of Milwaukee fixed and plunge routers for everything else. The 5615-24 has fixed and plunge bases and is available for quite a good price right now (I grabbed one because the whole kit was less than the extra plunge base I was after).

The downside to the Milwaukees is that they are production body routers and DC is an afterthought. I have the vac attachment which, like most accessories is interchangeable amongst the different models but, is more effort than benefit unless I am really going to town.

P.s. I love the body grip design on the Mils. Really ups my control and confidence level while free handing.

pat warner
10-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Would not lock into a lamp/light in the router, there are so few that have it.
Not worth it to sacrfice far more important features in other routers that are not lit.
Investigate PC 690 & Bosch 1617 for agility, light weight, power/wt, and work visibility.
Would not ignore your plea to have the work well lit; that should be addressed; it's critical for your safety and for good cutting results.
What to do: Get/hang 2 twin bulb 5000k x 4' florescent fixtures 3 or 4' above the work area.
They throw so much diffuse light you'll get tanned whilst routing.

Matthew Hills
10-24-2009, 1:43 PM
Porter Cable 310 (http://www.tools-plus.com/porter-cable-310.html) is a great form-factor with reasonable height adjust. Downsides: fixed-speed and no light. This is no longer being manufactured, so not as easy to find acessories as for the newer trim routers.

Matt

Cary Falk
10-24-2009, 2:03 PM
I have a PC7310 adn the Ridgid. I got the PC at Rockler for $50. and I am happy with it. It will probably be my go to trim router because the Ridgid gets so hot in my hand I need to wear a glove. I thought the Ridgid had some nice features but it doesn't matter if I can't hold it.

Jim Tincher
10-25-2009, 8:24 AM
I would urge you to consider one of Pat's off-set bases as well. They are great!

Rich Engelhardt
10-25-2009, 9:05 AM
Hello,
A little sideways drift here - but ---

Yesterday, I was using my Ryobi 1 1/4 HP router/table combination.
All the while I was using it, I was wishing my PC 690, which was nearby, would fit in the Ryobi table.

The 690 is a great balance between power and "good feel" - at least in my hands.

John Callahan
10-25-2009, 2:04 PM
.......... another vote for the Porter Cable 310. If you need a little more "oomph" the 7/8hp Porter Cable 100. Both are discontinued but there is NOS still around. Two of the best routers out there imho.

Myk Rian
10-25-2009, 2:37 PM
I'm looking for a smallish, lightweight router to use mostly for hand held edge routing, I'd like one that has a light shining on the work. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Dennis
Craftsman has a nice router for that purpose.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00917541000P?vName=Tools&cName=Portable+Power+Tools&sName=Routers+%26+Laminate+Trimmers

Dar Lounsbury
10-25-2009, 2:56 PM
PC 310 would be the first router I would use. I have seen them still available from some of the tool sites. Old stock. If I needed something larger I would use PC 690 / 691. Everybody has a favorite, so that becomes the best one to use. Find one you like the feel of and it will become your favorite. I too suggest you get one of Pat Warner's offset bases. Best thing I added to the routers.

I have tried one of the Bosch routers but I don't like it as well. Adjustments felt rubbery and it did not fit in the hand well. To each their own.

Dar