PDA

View Full Version : Help deciding with table saw

Derek Gilmer
10-24-2009, 9:35 AM
I'm currently using a delta contractor saw that I got 4 or 5 years ago at a black and decker outlet. It was great for rough work but now that I want to cut straight lines on large pieces its limitations are starting to show. My shop also serves as my garage (or maybe my garage serves as my shop :) ) either way space is limited. I'd prefer to look at a hybrid saw that I can move around and tuck away so I can still park inside during hail storms or really cold nights when there isn't a project under way. The price range is 600 or below.

My two main choices right now are a new ridgid 4511 or a used powermatic artisian. They are both 1.5 hp rated but the powermatic comes with extended fence rails and router table top, accufence with Kickback wheels, up grade miterguage, mobile base, miter sled. There is a third option which is to wait a few years until I get a decent shop built and save up for a full cabinet saw. It seems like the used powermatic is the best choice but I wanted to get the creek's wisdom on this as well.

Jason White
10-24-2009, 9:59 AM
There's a misconception out there that "hybrid" saws (or even contractor saws) take up less room than cabinet saws. It's simply not true. While the base/cabinet is bigger and heavier on a cabinet saw, the overall footprint of the saw is the same or even less.

If you're going to upgrade and are worried about shop space, I wouldn't shy away from a full-fleged cabinet saw. I have one in my tiny 1-car garage and it actually takes up a little less floor space than my previous contractor saw, mainly due to the fact that there's no motor hanging off the back of my cabinet saw. Plus, I love having less vibration and more power (3hp).

Jason

I'm currently using a delta contractor saw that I got 4 or 5 years ago at a black and decker outlet. It was great for rough work but now that I want to cut straight lines on large pieces its limitations are starting to show. My shop also serves as my garage (or maybe my garage serves as my shop :) ) either way space is limited. I'd prefer to look at a hybrid saw that I can move around and tuck away so I can still park inside during hail storms or really cold nights when there isn't a project under way. The price range is 600 or below.

My two main choices right now are a new ridgid 4511 or a used powermatic artisian. They are both 1.5 hp rated but the powermatic comes with extended fence rails and router table top, accufence with Kickback wheels, up grade miterguage, mobile base, miter sled. There is a third option which is to wait a few years until I get a decent shop built and save up for a full cabinet saw. It seems like the used powermatic is the best choice but I wanted to get the creek's wisdom on this as well.

Derek Gilmer
10-24-2009, 11:48 AM
There's a misconception out there that "hybrid" saws (or even contractor saws) take up less room than cabinet saws. It's simply not true. While the base/cabinet is bigger and heavier on a cabinet saw, the overall footprint of the saw is the same or even less.

If you're going to upgrade and are worried about shop space, I wouldn't shy away from a full-fleged cabinet saw. I have one in my tiny 1-car garage and it actually takes up a little less floor space than my previous contractor saw, mainly due to the fact that there's no motor hanging off the back of my cabinet saw. Plus, I love having less vibration and more power (3hp).

Jason
How hard is it to move one around? Having a mobile base already attached was one big plus of the ridgid and powermatic. I've got room to tuck away either saw or a cabinet saw but getting it moved back to the main work area when using my garage as a shop was my question.

scott spencer
10-24-2009, 1:04 PM
Derek - The PM64a is a contractor saw with an outboard motor that's really a similar design as your current saw, unless our definition of contractor saw is different. When I hear contractor saw, I think of a full size cast iron saw (27" deep), usually with a splayed leg stand, and a 1-1/2 to 2 hp belt drive induction motor hanging of the back. Jobsite saws are the portable saws that contractor tend to use, then there's a smaller class of compact saws on leg stands that are really just benchtop saws with legs. Which do you have?

The PM64a is a nice example of a contractor saw but still suffers the same drawbacks of that 60 year design, which is one reason contractor saws are mainly being phased out in the market place.

The R4511 is a hybrid with the motor housed inside the enclosure, which not only takes up less space, but has a shorter belt, better DC, no lifting hazard when tilted, etc. The fence on the PM64a is better than the R4511's IMO.

Sears has a new Craftsman 21833 hybrid for $549. I know nothing about it, other than it exists. Not alot of hybrid choices in the $600 range unless you find a clearance sale.

Derek Gilmer
10-24-2009, 2:36 PM
Mine is the bottom of the line delta, the sm200l something like this: http://www.gradysonline.com/product.php?productid=20365

It does great for rough work but now that I'm starting to try making furniture its shortcomings are very apparent. For the $75 it cost 4 years ago while I was in college and poor it has served well but isn't up to what my current woodworking goals need.

Jim O'Dell
10-24-2009, 2:54 PM
Derek, I am currently saving for a new cabinet saw. Depending on what you're wanting to hold the spending at right now might give us a better way to answer your question. If the $600.00 range is where you need to stay right now, but you plan on having that shop later with electrical power and room and will want to get a cabinet saw at that time, then I'd probably say the PM saw would probably hold it's value better. That way you wouldn't lose as much when you sell it later. Plus it sounds like it has a lot of accessories with it. Keep in mind, it also depends if the PM is in good shape or not.
If you can go a little more money, there are some close out sales on some Grizzly cab saws, and also on the Delta Uni (old style). Prices in the 900.00 range. Plus you might be able to find a good used cab saw in the 6-700 range. Lots to choose from right now. And you can put a mobile base under any saw to make it mobile for your current situation. Good luck!! Jim.

Fred Preston
10-24-2009, 3:42 PM
ease of motion will be more dependent on your floor than the weight of the saw. If your floor is reasonably flat and smooth a cabinet saw can be moved fairly easily on a mobile base. larger wheels make it easier but also tend to raise the saw. [how tall are you?]:) If your floor was poured by mack the mangler and his bloody band of mud dobbers well.......... I frequently move several tools that are on mobile bases. some weigh over 700 LBS. It's not as bad as you would think with good floors. If you plan on getting a cabinet saw someday why not cut out the midgrade saw and save some money later on by getting it now? you will be glad you did.

Bruce Wrenn
10-24-2009, 4:19 PM
Last time I was in Woodcraft, they had a new design, Steel City, granite top hybrid saw that fits right into your price range. Sorry I didn't copy, or remember what model it is.

Mac McQuinn
10-24-2009, 4:36 PM
I believe Woodcraft is having a Anniversary sale end of the month w/ some good discounts.

Mac

Jason White
10-24-2009, 7:28 PM
Not hard at all!

How hard is it to move one around? Having a mobile base already attached was one big plus of the ridgid and powermatic. I've got room to tuck away either saw or a cabinet saw but getting it moved back to the main work area when using my garage as a shop was my question.

Derek Gilmer
10-24-2009, 8:26 PM
Not hard at all!

Hmmm I like that. Maybe I will continue to scour the classifieds and craiglist for a good used cabinet saw that will meet all my hopes and dreams :D

Cary Falk
10-24-2009, 9:50 PM

It's super easy to move things around. Just put everything possible on bases with all swivel wheels.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0216.jpg

Larry Rasmussen
10-25-2009, 1:59 AM
I'm a little cash short having paid cash for a Jessem sliding table on close out at Rockler last pay day, something I've been wanting for a couple years. I have been useing a job site Bosch so needed something with a cast iron table to bolt the sliding table to. Sears dot com has many of the Jet table saws, same pricing as CPO Jet or Amazon and same free shipping deal Jet has going on right now. Sears has the one year no interest offer going for a while, the month I think but not sure. Seemed easy enough, signed up for a card on line, got answer right away, ordered saw and it said delivery November 2-4th. Got the call from local shipper on the 20th, arranged for delivery and it's in the garage now. The Jet Pro Shop line has the motor in the cabinet but legs on a half cabinet instead of full to the ground cabinet. Grizzly's lowest price table saw with a riving knife is a contractor style body and legs but with the motor contained in the upper cabinet. I might have gone that route if I had the cash.

Regards,
Larry R
Seattle

scott spencer
10-25-2009, 7:54 AM
Last time I was in Woodcraft, they had a new design, Steel City, granite top hybrid saw that fits right into your price range. Sorry I didn't copy, or remember what model it is.

I think the newer entry level Steel City hybrid is the 35920...they actually make the Ridgid R4511, so it's similar but has a full enclosure...$650 IIRC. Cabinet mounted trunnions, cast one-piece arbor carriage, built in mobile base, large handwheels, granite top, 1.5hp ....looks like a lot of saw for $650. They've opted not to put faces on the fence so it looks a little skinny, but they're easy to add.

http://www.toolking.com/Images/Product/steel_city/mediumSC35920_1.jpg

BTW, the Grizzly G1023SL 3hp cab saw is on sale for $795...$889 to your door.

Derek Gilmer
11-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Looks like I may go with the r4511 after all. I sold the benchtop table saw I have now for $10 less than I paid for it. And I found an HD that will match HF's current 15% off coupon plus the Ridgid 15% rebate right now means I can get the r4511 in my garage for around $330 is hard to pass up. Especially when the LOML is convinced it is a great deal and is 100% ok with the purchase :D

Stephen Edwards
11-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Hmmm I like that. Maybe I will continue to scour the classifieds and craiglist for a good used cabinet saw that will meet all my hopes and dreams :D

I've recently discovered that when searching CL for machines, also search using the search term "lumber". Last week I was searching CL for lumber and several table saws showed up for sale that didn't show up when I did a search for table saws. Weird.

You should be able to find the saw that will fit your needs and your budget on CL, especially if you're willing to drive a few hours to get it. At least that's true in my area.

Good Luck!

Rod Sheridan
11-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Derek, a cabinet saw can take up less storage space than a contractor saw.

Cabinet saws are often mounted on mobile bases, I made one for my General 650 that has 3" or 4" casters, and only raises the saw 1/2" off the floor.

The saw is easy to move, and fits in the same space that my Sears contractor saw fit into.

You may be lucky and find a used cabinet saw in your price range.

Regards, Rod.

Tom Slupek
11-04-2009, 12:59 PM

I was in the same boat as you. I ended up finding a PM66 locally for $450 then welded a mobile base for it. I put quality ball bearing heavy duty casters on the mobile base and I can move the 500 lb beast fairly easily.

Paul Johnstone
11-04-2009, 1:38 PM
I'm currently using a delta contractor saw that I got 4 or 5 years ago at a black and decker outlet. It was great for rough work but now that I want to cut straight lines on large pieces its limitations are starting to show.

NEver mind, see in the picture that you have a benchtop saw.. yeah that is worth upgrading. good luck

scott spencer
11-04-2009, 2:22 PM
$330 is a screaming deal on that saw....get it setup well, put a decent blade on it and it should serve you well. You might even want to add some faces to the fence. Good luck!

Lee Bidwell
11-04-2009, 5:22 PM
Looks like I may go with the r4511 after all. I sold the benchtop table saw I have now for $10 less than I paid for it. And I found an HD that will match HF's current 15% off coupon plus the Ridgid 15% rebate right now means I can get the r4511 in my garage for around $330 is hard to pass up. Especially when the LOML is convinced it is a great deal and is 100% ok with the purchase :D

Derek, I am thinking the same thing as you, but using a Lowe's 10% off coupon. I have been saving for a Grizzly 691, but that price on the Ridgid saw is hard to ignore. Has anyone had HD match a Harbor Freight 15% or 20% off coupon? I guess I just assumed they would only accept Lowe's or maybe Menards. Thanks for any info.

Lee

Derek Gilmer
11-04-2009, 5:27 PM
Derek, I am thinking the same thing as you, but using a Lowe's 10% off coupon. I have been saving for a Grizzly 691, but that price on the Ridgid saw is hard to ignore. Has anyone had HD match a Harbor Freight 15% or 20% off coupon? I guess I just assumed they would only accept Lowe's or maybe Menards. Thanks for any info.

Lee
The HD in Jonesborro Ar took my HF 20% off coupon when I bought my PC 557 biscuit joiner on Saturday. But Jonesborrow has a Harbor Freight in town. A cashier at HD here in Conway said they wouldn't since there is no HF here. It seems like HD will match competitors IF they are in the same town. I'm going to try talking to a manager and offer that I can either drive to Jonesborro (where my in laws live anyways) to get the 15% matched or ask him to make an exception so I can buy the saw locally.

Doug Carpenter
11-04-2009, 5:50 PM
some good points made.

I agree that the powermatic is the good option if that is all the budget will support.

Then again you can't go wrong with a good cabinet saw. It occurs to me that I have had my Delta unisaw for 20 years. I added a beismeyer fence and aged 12 years spending the money! But I have to admit that it has been 20 years of trouble free motoring. 3hp gets the job done. Just wait untill you push your first sheet of plywood through and don't feel the machine bog down.

I saw that Steel city saw with the granite top. It's neat, but why don't they call it granite city?:p

Lee Bidwell
11-04-2009, 6:53 PM
Thanks Derek.

I'll probable give it a shot here in Jackson. We'll see.

Lee