PDA

View Full Version : Uhhhg!

Colin Wollerman
10-24-2009, 2:05 AM
I went out to my garage to work on my project and found one of my parts, 34"x4"x.75 red oak, wet and bowed...grrr! Leaky roof.
One side is damp and stained looking. I expect I can sand out the stain but what about the bow? I would like to save this piece if possible.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Colin

Wayne Sparkman
10-24-2009, 2:07 AM
Put it out in the sun, concave side up. Watch it carefully and pull it back inside just before it straightens out. More aggressively, put it over an indoor floor furnace grating for a few seconds.

glenn bradley
10-24-2009, 2:17 AM
I'm assuming you don't have material on hand to remake the part. Not knowing where your nearest lumber yard or BORG is this may not make sense but, at less than a single board foot of material, I'd be tempted to just buy another board and remake the part. I have had little success trying to "fix" something that was at finished size and then got damaged. Now I just save the time and remake the part. The spoiled piece becomes something else sooner or later. Its getting a good match that can be a challenge at times. ;-)

Colin Wollerman
10-24-2009, 2:28 AM
Glenn,
Making anoher is where I am heading but the piece matches a couple others so it is worth a try. It is borg wood though so maybe I can take the others and look for a close match.

Wayne, I might give the sun trick a try,
Thanks

Dell Littlefield
10-24-2009, 8:19 AM
That stain will probably come out wit a little oxalic acid. (wood bleach) instead of sanding. The veneer on the last ply I bought was so thin it only had one side.

Tom Adger
10-24-2009, 8:29 AM
First: Fix the roof.

It looks like at least 1/2 of the board did not get wet. Cut the good part off, and let the wet part dry as others have suggested, and see how it turns out.

James White
10-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Put it out in the sun, concave side up. Watch it carefully and pull it back inside just before it straightens out. More aggressively, put it over an indoor floor furnace grating for a few seconds.

Correction: Convex side up. The swollen wet side.

James

Bill Orbine
10-24-2009, 10:07 AM

Hate to be busting nuts, but don't you mean CONVEX (wet side) side up? And another little nifty trick is to lay dry side (concave) down in damp/wet grass whilst sunning the cave.

Colin Wollerman
10-24-2009, 10:27 PM
Correction: Convex side up. The swollen wet side.

James
I figured that is what was ment.

David DeCristoforo
10-24-2009, 10:56 PM
No sympathy from me. Sorry. I had a stack of completed raised panel doors stacked on my TS. Right under one of those roof "spinners" which, unbeknownst to me had been knocked off it's pins by the wind. Six doors completely ruined. Four more damaged but repairable. Yes, there is a lesson here. Best advice so far in this thread from Tom Adger: "First: Fix the roof."

Cary Falk
10-24-2009, 11:05 PM
Wet both sides, sticker it so air can get to both sides and clamp it flat. Let it set for a couple of days till it can completely dry out. I have done this numerous times on panels and it works.

Darrell Bottoms
10-25-2009, 12:09 AM
Wet both sides, sticker it so air can get to both sides and clamp it flat. Let it set for a couple of days till it can completely dry out. I have done this numerous times on panels and it works.

+1 Will have to try that.

Colin Wollerman
10-25-2009, 12:39 PM
Thanks all,
I dampened the other side and let it dry then did some careful belt sanding>>RO>>hand.

131005 131006