PDA

View Full Version : Tile risers on stairs

pete collins
10-23-2009, 10:49 PM
I have a customer who wants tile risers..i have never done this. What is the best way/design to do this with minimal cracks or problems later? I have 3 ideas in my head. The stairs are in main entry with one side open and other against wall. I was thinking of setting up like a runner with a 4 to 6 inch wood riser on each side of tile with tile in center(like runner).
#2 is to run tile tight to wall skirt and other side(open) to inside edge of finish stringer, so from front view you would see 3/4 in. wood on one side.
#3 would be to do same as #2 except run tile over 3/4 finish stringer so you dont see it from front view but would see tile from side.
Im wondering with #2 the 3/4 wood you would see is not attractive.
#3 im worried about tile separating a bit from wood stringer and be a nasty crack between the 2 after time....
Anyone ever done tile risers and if so what is best recommendation on it...

thanks
Pete

Michael Weber
10-23-2009, 11:56 PM
Sorry can't help Pete but I wanted to do the same thing a couple months ago but couldn't find the tiles I wanted. I did a search and can tell you there isn't a lot of information out there about tiled risers.

Josiah Bartlett
10-24-2009, 12:10 AM
You won't be able to keep the wood and grout from cracking, but you could design the wood so you can't tell. You could do something like a rail and stile that the tile field is embedded in- fit the tile behind a rabbet so as the wood expands it can slide.

Bob Vavricka
10-24-2009, 12:23 AM
Pete,
You might want to ask about this over on the johnbridge dot com forum. I found it a helpful site when I was doing some tile work in my house.
Bob V.

Bill ThompsonNM
10-24-2009, 3:32 AM
In my parents house I framed with finished wood both sides but only grouted between tiles. I then got matching "sanded caulk" from the tile store which matched the grout color exactly (it's made by the grout company). I caulked the openings between the tile and wood it's flexible but with the sand in it looks just like the grout! No cracks...

bill mullin
10-24-2009, 8:42 AM
Use cement board for the backer. Then use colored caulk between any tile to wood contact.

Thomas Wa
10-25-2009, 3:00 PM
Were I doing this I wouldn't use standard techniques for tile. Instead I'd glue the tile to the risers with PL Adhesive (http://www.stickwithpl.com/), then 'grout' between the tiles with a color matched latex caulk.

I used a similar construction technique for a tile covered shelf extension to a vanity counter top, it worked well.