PDA

View Full Version : Slow Speed Grinder

mickey cassiba
10-23-2009, 8:56 PM
I want to build a slow speed grinder, primarily for lathe tools. Mr Harry Strasil, this question is aimed at you(mainly). I've read your posts, for the last year and a half and I like the way you think, I would've PM'd but I'd like input from the rest of the community as well. I'm not looking for a plan, or blue print, rather I want ideas as to how to accomplish my goal. I am a skilled machinist, although I don't currently have access to machine tools. The plan is to find a decent piece of CI, that is flat, a low RPM high torque motor, and the assorted pulleys, pillow block bearings and shafts to make it all run... oh yeah, I'm going to need water or coolant as well. I do have some HCS that I don't want to burn up.
I have an old treadle powered sewing machine frame, and considered using it in lieu of the electric motor, but leg problems would probably keep me from making frequent grinds.
I would really like your input, as well as other creekers.
Moderators, please move this to the appropriate forum, if needed.
I intend to record the build with pictures and text, possibly to help the younger generation realize that everything doesn't have to come out of a box, ready to "plug and play"
Any and all comments, criticisms, and dirty looks will be cheerfully accepted.
Mickey Cassiba

Paul Atkins
10-23-2009, 10:41 PM
Well I'm not Harry, but here is one of my slow speed grinders used primarily for turning tools. The shaft is 5/8" 'stressproof' steel I machined with left and right hand threads at 1/2" and the flanges of aluminum. 1/2 hp motor runs about 900 rpm depending on pulley setting and is smooth running. The honing disc is synthetic leather doused with buffing compound and gets the razor edge. This was going to be a temporary setup, but I've been using it for 15 years. My other one has a steel tool rest and a 10" disc. I'm not sure you need water, but it would keep everything cool. This is about as barebones as it gets, I guess.

mickey cassiba
10-24-2009, 12:56 AM
Paul...I like!
I intend to shamelessly steal any and all ideas, and bulid my own. The main reason I directed this to Harry is his blacksmithing experience. I no longer have access to a machine shop, and money's tight. I like the looks of your machine...wouldn't mind a closer look. If you could send detailed pics I'll PM my email.
Thanks
Mickey

Randal Stevenson
10-24-2009, 2:15 PM
How are you going to use the cast iron? The reason I am asking is I have an old tablesaw that was designed for 8" or smaller blades (believe an old Sears Companion). I bought it for the motor (1/2 hp), and debated about trying to adapt it for a grinding wheel.

Bruce Wrenn
10-24-2009, 4:29 PM
Remember that CI and water don't get along well. I would lean towards a piece of exterior MDF, laminated with "Formica." Laminate bottom first, edges next, and lastly the top side. This will provide a "shingle effect" for any stray water. Exterior MDF is used to make access doors for crawl spaces, FYI. You can purchase mandrels with two pillow blocks, and already threaded left and right, for about the same as a couple of pillow blocks. Because of light use, pillow blocks can be sleave bearings. You most likely won't wear them out in your life time. For really slow operation, look for a used right angle gear motor to drive shaft.

mickey cassiba
10-24-2009, 5:13 PM
Remember that CI and water don't get along well. I would lean towards a piece of exterior MDF, laminated with "Formica." Laminate bottom first, edges next, and lastly the top side. This will provide a "shingle effect" for any stray water. Exterior MDF is used to make access doors for crawl spaces, FYI. You can purchase mandrels with two pillow blocks, and already threaded left and right, for about the same as a couple of pillow blocks. Because of light use, pillow blocks can be sleave bearings. You most likely won't wear them out in your life time. For really slow operation, look for a used right angle gear motor to drive shaft.
Hey Bruce...I know that water and iron don't play well, but I'm planning on running soluble coolant which I use at work. Completely non reactive with iron based metals, though it does stain them pretty badly. I want the CI for that "completely flat" surface...the only other surface I can think of is glass, and I'm a little too heavy handed for that. Besides, I already have the front extension off of a PM shaper that has a "T' shaped miter slot milled in. Thought it would be pretty useful for making a square grind, or setting angles with a miter gage. I considered the MDF/formica combination, but I don't think I have enough finesse to mill and seal a t-slot that won't swell and deform from repeated exposure to the liquid.
Like the idea of a gear motor... I think I have an old right angle drive stashed. Have to check out the ratio on it. It is a little large, but heck...we're talking about a FrankenGrinder. Looks don't matter as much as function. Heck...looks don't matter at all! My neighbors already think I'm nuts!:D:D:D
MIckey

Bruce Wrenn
10-26-2009, 9:13 PM
Hey Bruce My neighbors already think I'm nuts!:D:D:D
MIckeyWhat do you mean, THINK? Just too good to pass up. Now you owe me one. How are you going to capture the coolant. Put unit in a large dish busing tub, maybe. Lowes sell a tub called "Super Tub."

mickey cassiba
10-26-2009, 9:46 PM
What do you mean, THINK? Just too good to pass up. Now you owe me one. How are you going to capture the coolant. Put unit in a large dish busing tub, maybe. Lowes sell a tub called "Super Tub."
Yup... or a homade tub out of ply and fiberglass/ resin lined(used to make a fair amount of change out in Arizona rebuilding rusted out swamp coolers)with an old low pressure sump pump that runs off of the old dry cell lantern batteries so's I don't light myself up. If I use the gear motor , I can offset the drive motor out and away from all the liquid, I think.
As to the neighbors...I live in a retirement type "Snowbird" trailer park. For eight months of the year I only have 4 neighbors spread out over 3 acres. An for the record, they're pretty goofy too.
Also the fact that I owe you one , just means youve got one coming...when you least expect it.
Seriously though, I want to build this big and heavy; low vibration, and the local bandits are not so likely to try to steal something that takes five or six of them to carry. Friend of mine just lost everything except his old Oliver lathe. They even took his nut and bolt bins!
Got my miter saw when I drove to the store for a six pack...gone for ten minutes.:mad: