PDA

View Full Version : Hand made tool.

David Gendron
10-23-2009, 5:21 PM
Good day Creekers, I'm showing off a new addition to my shop, a T-square I finished today, made of Black Walnut and Bird eyes maple from the scrap bin.
I made it because i needed a square bigger than my try squares to mark across the grain of wider stock. And also I'm having fun making these small tools and it take less time making theme than waiting for them to come in the mail... Remember, I live in the boonies:D

Harlan Barnhart
10-23-2009, 5:41 PM
Nice work David. I especially like the birds eye maple. A big, reliable square is a real boon for case work. After "making do" with a combination square, I made a big adjustable try square after the pattern of Colen Clenton. I imagine you are going to use that square a lot.

Here is a link to the thread with pictures of my effort.
www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=119974

David Gendron
10-23-2009, 6:23 PM
I saw that post of yours but didn't read everything and misted the ajustment with the threaded rod...I love it! Thank you.

Stephen Reid
10-23-2009, 8:25 PM
Very nice David!!You've got a knack for self made tools.I can imagine it takes a while to get stuff in Whitehorse,I've been through there many times on my way to work.Just passed through never spent any time though.Where do you get walnut and birdseye from up there?I would have guessed you would be using a lot of your local pines!!!!! :DKeep up the good work. Steve

mark kosse
10-23-2009, 8:50 PM
Very nice. One can't possibly look at a piece of aluminum or plastic and be pleased. Holding that in my hand would make me happy.

David Gendron
10-23-2009, 10:25 PM
Thank you guys.
Stephen, the Walnut and Maple are frome my home town, just south west of Quebec City from a small dealer who as realy good price. so I bought about 600 board feet of hard wood last year from him and got it shiped to the north and even with shippping cost, I still save anywear from 2 to 5 dollars a BF compare to the hard wood up here and it's way better! as for the pine, I got some for free that I will use for a saw till and a plane cabinet...

Derek Cohen
10-23-2009, 11:10 PM
Very Nice David!

It inspires me ....

Regards from Perth

Derek

David Gendron
10-23-2009, 11:13 PM
thank you Derek is the least I can say... I'm always impressed by your work!

John Keeton
10-24-2009, 7:47 AM
David, beside the beauty of the end result, the inspiration here is that you do this with all hand tools! Great job, and some beautiful wood.

Interesting comment on your wood source - I just know when we checked on the shipping cost of getting some osage orange to you it was unbelievable how expensive it was going to be!! Sure makes me appreciate the availability of hardwoods down here in the southern states!