PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw Blades

Don L Johnson
10-23-2009, 4:46 PM
Has anyone every used a Tenryu Blade? Woodcraft is having a 15% off for those blades the next two days. I'm thinking of using a thin kerf blade to do some ripping of ebony at 1/8" thick. Thanks

Andrew Perry
10-23-2009, 5:00 PM
I haven't used them on my table saw, but I have been extremely pleased with the 275mm 80T and 100T Tenryu blades that I use on my Prisma CE double miter saw.

scott spencer
10-23-2009, 5:50 PM
Tenryu has a huge selection of blades that spans several different series, so make sure you know which one you're getting. Their best is the "Gold Medal" GM25540 made in Japan that I consider on par with other premium general purpose blades. I've also tried the "Rapid Cut" series made in China. The RS25540 40T ATAF blade and the RS25550 50T ATB/R blade...both are very good values, with the RS25550 being the better made of the two IMHO, and is fairly comparable to other well known and more expensive 50T combo blades. Watch the kerf widths of the Tenryu's, as they have some odd widths that might not match your splitter. The RS25550 is a standard full kerf @ 0.125", the GM25540 is 0.111", and the RS25540 is 0.118". Holbren has great pricing and free shipping on orders of $75...use the "SMC10" code to get an additional 10%.

Scott Perkins47
10-23-2009, 7:27 PM
I bought a thin kerf hi tooth count hitachi blade from Home Depot a while back for about 7 or 8 bucks on sale for the express purpose of smooth
cuts and I am happy with the smooth cuts on oak planks. Based on that
I just cant see spending a bunch of money on a saw blade.

Jon Grider
10-23-2009, 8:54 PM
I have a 10" Gold combo blade that I like a lot. It rips 8/4 walnut easily with a near glue ready surface.

Brett Robson
10-23-2009, 10:11 PM
I have a Tenryu Gold Medal in my table saw. It's my go-to blade. I use it for just about everything and rarely switch out blades anymore.

I have a Hi-ATB Freud that I bought a while back just for hardwood veneered ply, but I really don't need it as the Gold Medal cuts just as cleanly and has virtually no tear out on the veneers.

I really can't say enough good things about the Gold Medal. I've never tried a WW2 or the equivalent Freud or Ridge carbide blades, but I can't see how they could cut any better than the Tenryu. I found my blade on Amazon for $75 which makes it even sweeter!

Rick Fisher
10-24-2009, 1:48 AM
http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m455/jokerbird_photo/P1140666.jpg

I have a Tenryu Gold Medal 40 tooth on my saw right now..

I keep 2 blades.. it takes a week or more to get them sharpened, so I have a spare around ..

My other "regular" blade is a Forrest WWII.. 40 tooth..

The Tenryu is my favorite, but its a close call.. Its quieter.. but otherwise, about the same..

I also have an 80 tooth Gold medal type blade on my Miter saw.. Its swap off blade is a Freud 80 tooth Ultimate woodworker.. In this category, the Tenryu is noticably superior..

If you spend the money, and get the top end Tenryu blades.. they are absolutely fantastic.