PDA

View Full Version : adjustable height workbenches

Dave Sharpe
10-23-2009, 2:22 PM
As some of you know, I'm teaching homeschool woodshop classes for friends (see my other thread for discussion on that). One of the challenges I've faced is how to adapt my shop for people of a much...shorter... persuasion. The younger kids have trouble working at my standard height workbenches, wo I thought about making stools or benches for them to stand on, but that seemed a bit limiting. SO here's how I solved the problem. I work at a hospital that periodically auctions off old equipment, and I was able to buy two massage tables for $10 each. Both are mounted on wheels, but have retractable legs for stability, and are equipped with a motorized lift allowing height adjustment from about 18" to 40". I removed the padded tops and installed a double layer of 3/4" mdf for a workbench top. Now I can accomodate several kids at once with their own workbench adjusted to a comfortable height fr them, and when class isn't in session I have adjustable assembly tables for my own use.

Jeremy Wilcox
10-23-2009, 2:48 PM
i will have to say that is one GREAT idea. If your wife is anything like mine the first thing she said is why did you bring that JUNK home LOL ...but they never think like we do. That is a perfect solution for kids and for adults it could be a real back saver....no more leaning down and stretching you can just lift it up to usable height. what are the upper and lower limits of height out of curiousity?

all the Best and great job with the kids

Jeremy

Dave Sharpe
10-23-2009, 2:52 PM
Actually, my wife's first question was "Can't you save the padded tops so we can still use them AS massage tables.....?"

Upper and lower limits are roughly 18" - 40"

Jim Becker
10-23-2009, 7:57 PM
Nice solution, Dave. I know I love my Adjust-A-Bench simply because I can set the height comfortably for whatever I'm doing and I can imagine the utility for when you have multiple people of varying stature using the shop!

richard poitras
10-23-2009, 8:18 PM
I did the same thing with a exam table with stirrups and cushion top and drawers but it was not adjustable but made a good work stand for my 12’’ planer and 16/32 sander.

Kevin Groenke
10-23-2009, 8:23 PM
Clever solution. Institutional equipment should stand up to shop use/abuse just fine. The mobility is a nice bonus.

I've designed an adjustable height workstation that employs hydraulic pistons and a hand crank made by Suspa. To date about 550 of the desks have been produced for 3 separate institutions.

http://design.umn.edu/current_students/leo/hall/documents/UMod.info.pdf

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_rHdeE-SI5cc/SWA4nFo1PXI/AAAAAAAAAUc/jUVLR-oFDDw/s576/_MG_6370_white.jpg