PDA

View Full Version : NAIL GUNS and Dog House

denis tuomey
10-23-2009, 1:39 PM
Im fixing to build a large dog house for my sons dogs, w/2 openings out of rough cedar/ Lotta Nailing!:mad:. Im new to nail guns but ready to try em :), I'll be using 3 types of nails-3 1/2"-Framing, 2" Framing and 1 1/2" Finishing nails.
Does anyone know if there is a gun available that handles all 3, or will it take 3 different guns? :confused:
Lowes has a set with 4 guns for $225, anyone have this set?
Appreciate your input.

Cary Falk
10-23-2009, 2:33 PM
You should only need 2 guns a framing gun and a 15g finish nailer. You will have to check the framing nailer to make sure it goes down to 2". Nor all of them do and I have seen some go down to 1.5". I couldn't pull up the Porter Cable set that you are looking at. I have Porter Cable guns and they have been great. Mine are about 5 years old. They have gone through some changes since then so I don't know what the current quality is. Harbor Freight might be another option for ocasional use. They seem to get good reviews.

Lee Bidwell
10-24-2009, 12:47 AM
I've got that set. I think i paid $199. I've really only used the brad nailer and the stapler, but they have worked fine for me. The only problem I have had is that the plastic tip broke off of the end of the brad gun, but it works fine without it.

Josh Reet
10-24-2009, 1:43 AM
I'm guessing the set he is looking at is an "Iron Horse" branded set. I'm pretty sure they are made by campbell hausfeld, but don't quote me on that. Anyway, I have that set, got it on sale for $179 the other month. Still worth it at $225 IMO.

They aren't the highest quality guns, but they work just fine. My framing nailer seems to adjust to JUST enough power to drive the bigger nails flush. It tends to be a bit unhappy with toe nailing. But I haven't actually fiddled with it as much as I could to test to see if there is anything I can do to make it a bit happier. The finish nailer has been quality for me as well. Have yet to use the brad nailer or crown stapler. Though I do have a different campbell hausfeld brad nailer that is similar and it has been fine for me.

The only complaints I have seen is that people whine about it being hard to find 21 deg framing nails. This is bunk, there are 21 deg framing nails at any BORG or fastener place I have ever been in. Now, you might have to buy them in boxes of 1000-3000. But you can get them easily.

Josh Reet
10-24-2009, 1:47 AM
The only thing I might suggest is to decide if you really need all four nailers. You might be able to get similar quality guns at Harbor freight for less if you were just buying a framing and finish nailer.

Bill Leonard
10-24-2009, 7:36 AM
Over the years I have purchased several nail guns. All from Pawn Shops and have never, knock on wood, had a problem with any. Price is usually 30-40% of new and always a great selection. You can probably get a framer and a 15 or 16 guage for less than $150 and have all you need.

mickey cassiba
10-24-2009, 10:58 AM
Yeah...pawn shops are a great place to score cheap tools. I suspect many of the tools that were stolen from my shed a few weeks ago are going at really good prices.
Mickey

Andrew Schlosser
10-24-2009, 8:19 PM
For my basic construction needs, I've been quite please with my 2nd of 2 pneumatic tools, a Grizzly combo nailer/stapler, probably an earlier version of this guy http://www.grizzly.com/products/Nailer-Stapler-Kit/H7664
I use mine, probably 3 or 4 times a month for a small project, and I've had not a single jam or complaint. The hammer does leave a slighty indentation on the wood when driving nails, as it is wide enough to drive staples. But my nails are usually hidden, or I don't care if I see these indentations or not.

Rich Engelhardt
10-25-2009, 9:59 AM
Hello,

Does anyone know if there is a gun available that handles all 3,
Yes - it's called a palm nailer. ;)

Not as fast as dedicated nailers, but, still much faster than doing it by hand.

Cheaper too since it takes regular nails, not collated strip fasteners.