PDA

View Full Version : 16" Transpower planer

Tim Loder
10-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Hi,
I am new here and to woodworking. I have been buying used machines to get a shop together and purchased this planer. It is in good shape, no rust or broken parts but did not come with any manuals. It has a model# of AP800 and was built in 1992. Can anyone here give me any more information on it and where to get parts if needed? I’ve spent hours searching and have come up with nothing. Also does $200 sound like a bad deal for it?

Thanks!

Wayne Sparkman
10-23-2009, 1:49 PM
There is a bit of basic information in a Popular Woodworking book, Tips, Tricks and Techniques, on page 113. Found it on Google Books, here,

http://books.google.com/books?id=1HPnwXyp4OUC&pg=PA113&lpg=PA113&dq=%22transpower+AP800%22&source=bl&ots=ciljRqpZD1&sig=9Rx4ImEzDncdbjk8tPTnmXNgdvo&hl=en&ei=RuvhSoWyA4e6MIyI2LcB&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBAQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=%22transpower%20AP800%22&f=false

Tells max. depth of cut, weight, etc.

Tim Loder
10-23-2009, 3:13 PM
Thanks. Dose anyone think that a manual for a jet or other taiwan made model from the same year will be the same? They all seem to look alike with different color paint.

Any thoughts on if this was a good deal or not?

Rod Sheridan
10-23-2009, 3:39 PM
If I remember correctly Busy Bee sold those in Canada (under their name), so perhaps a manual would be available from them.

Regards, Rod.

eugene thomas
10-23-2009, 4:28 PM
I have trans power planer model ap 850 that bought from friend . he bought in 92 or 93 and the owners manuel that came with it is for SA-380N so not think ya have much luck finding exact owners manual for your model.

Craig Coney
10-23-2009, 11:07 PM
Try CP Machine tools in El Monte, CA. They were the importer. Most of their machines were Gee Tech.

Tim Loder
10-24-2009, 9:43 AM
I did find that CP Tools had something to do with this. I contacted them last week and all they would tell me is they no longer carry wood working tools. I just sent an email to Gee Tech, hopefully they will have something.

John Huddle
10-09-2011, 3:34 PM
I also recently purchased a 16"
Transpower planer from my cousin. It was missing an eccentric hex cap bolt and bushing for one end of one of the table adjustment rollers. Since no one seems to be having any luck finding parts for these planers, I took one set of the parts I needed to a metal machine shop and he told me it would be "no problem" to make my needed parts. It will take about one week and I'll be back in business. Hopes this helps if you need certain parts which can be machined. Good Luck!
Hi,
I am new here and to woodworking. I have been buying used machines to get a shop together and purchased this planer. It is in good shape, no rust or broken parts but did not come with any manuals. It has a model# of AP800 and was built in 1992. Can anyone here give me any more information on it and where to get parts if needed? I’ve spent hours searching and have come up with nothing. Also does $200 sound like a bad deal for it?

Thanks!

John Huddle
10-09-2011, 3:37 PM
Tim, Did you have any luck finding parts, or a parts manual, from Gee Tech?
I did find that CP Tools had something to do with this. I contacted them last week and all they would tell me is they no longer carry wood working tools. I just sent an email to Gee Tech, hopefully they will have something.

george wilson
10-09-2011, 4:04 PM
You would think that identical looking machines would have the same parts,but they MAY NOT!! I bought an Enco knee mill. It looked just like the knee mills that Grizzly,or anyone else sells. It needed parts,so I ordered some parts from Grizzly as Enco no longer sold them. WAY OFF!! Wasted money.

I think it is more like these Asian machinery makers copy each other,maybe even buy common castings. I don't know,but then,they make their own internal parts for them.

Mike Cruz
10-09-2011, 9:40 PM
Tim, as long as it works, $200 was a GREAT deal. Congrats!

Brian Gumpper
10-11-2011, 6:42 PM
I've seen these 16" machines over the years and always questioned if they were really 16" because they look like a bunch of 15" machines out there. So, if you buy it, measure the knives and head and compare to other machines of the era. You might find it's the same parts and manual as some of the more common brand 15" machines. My point is seems like the lesser known names marketed the 16" machines so maybe it was a marketing edge. Maybe they found they had clearance for a longer knife. If you need a 15" head drawing to compare, send me a PM.

Mike Cruz
10-12-2011, 7:49 AM
Makita also makes/made a 16" planer. No idea if they look anything alike...worth a shot.