PDA

View Full Version : Gloat and question...

Dennis McGarry
10-23-2009, 11:59 AM
Ok guys,

Got home yesterday from a LONG day of driving, Pick up the new to me lathe, (jet 1014) a Midi chuck, jacobs chuck, craftsman 1 1/2 HP router, biscut cutter addon for it, another addon dont remember what, a beal 1x8tpi tap. total cost? 260.00! Thanks mark!

Also went and picked up the ash handled tools set from HF, 20% couldnt resist, got my mandrel, bushings, some kits, etc.. from WC

Goat done, question time.

I plan on drilling on the lathe, hence the purchase of this setup. Now when I tried to put a blank in the midi chuck to drill, it spins way out of Round! Wobbles a lot! Is there something or some special way to mount it in there to drill? Or do I have to turn it round first then mount it in the chuck?

OH and I know no pics etc.. they are coming as soon as I charge the camera battery...

Sid Matheny
10-23-2009, 12:25 PM
When I drill pen blanks on the lathe I mark the center of the blank and chuck loose, put my live center to the center point with enough pressure to make a dimple then tighten the chuck. Remove center and you should be ready to drill.

Radek Kowalski
10-23-2009, 1:40 PM
I mark the center of the blank. Put the drill chuck with drill bit in the tail stock. Bring it up to the blank that is sitting loosly in the lathe chuck. Line up the center of the drill bit with the piece and tighten the lathe chuck. Try that and let us know how it works.

Dennis McGarry
10-23-2009, 2:28 PM
Tried that, was a little better but from the loud squaling, It is still drilling out of round.

So back to doing slimlines for now, while looking for a drill press or saving up and getting a collect chuck for the lathe. Oh well, guess the Wall Streets II's have to wait..

:(

Alan Tolchinsky
10-23-2009, 4:55 PM
Since you have a drill press why not do it on that. I have a simplelittle wood jig that I made that keeps the blank straight to the bit and just drill away., If your pen blanks are the same size you don't even have to move the jig.

Dan Forman
10-23-2009, 4:55 PM
If you get the collet chuck, you won't be sorry. I always use that to drill blanks. To use a square blank, it must be absolutely straight and square or there will be problems. One nice thing about the collet chuck, it supports the end of the blank and prevents blowout when the bit exits the blank. I drill the two parts of the blank individually to minimize problems.

Another secret weapon -- The center drill: http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1230

I use these to drill the ends of a square blank, mount it between centers (you will need a dead center for this, but they come in very handy) and turn to round, then cut in hald and go to the collet chuck. These things are great, will start a hole with zero deflection, and provide a 60 degree countersink at the same time (if you go that far). I also hold the longer drill bit steady as it starts to bite to prevent it deflecting, even with the starter hole. This helps to get the straightest possible, roundest hole.

Another trick for getting blanks to run true in the collet chuck, use a file or coarse sandpaper on a block to make sure that the surface of the blank is true. If it's uneven, it will want to wobble, even in a collet chuck.

Dan

Dennis McGarry
10-23-2009, 4:58 PM
Since you have a drill press why not do it on that. I have a simplelittle wood jig that I made that keeps the blank straight to the bit and just drill away., If your pen blanks are the same size you don't even have to move the jig.

Dont have a drill press. Was hoping to get away with the midi chuck, but i was missing a piece of the puzzle in my mind. :(

Mark Hubl
10-23-2009, 5:28 PM
Dennis,

I sent you a PM with some alternatives. These may help you out.

Mark

Alan Tolchinsky
10-23-2009, 5:36 PM
Dont have a drill press. Was hoping to get away with the midi chuck, but i was missing a piece of the puzzle in my mind. :(

Sorry Dennis. My bad.