PDA

View Full Version : Router Table digital readout Q's

Christopher Kanda
10-23-2009, 11:16 AM
This may seem like a stuipid question but i'm confused again. How does the wixey remote digital readout when used on a router table directly relate to the specific bit being used at the time. I thought a bit should not sit fully into the router collet but be pulled up about 1/8". I see how you'll know the exact position of the lift but that seems not to corespond to the bit. What am i missing?

glenn bradley
10-23-2009, 11:43 AM
You have to zero the gauge each time you change bits. You would also zero it if you were using it to determine a 'difference' in positions. So, you put in your rabbet bit and raise the cutting edge so it is dead even with the top of your table. Zero the gauge and it now reads the difference from that point. Change bits, zero again -or- make part of a profile cut (like a stepped bead), zero the gauge in that position and move it X amount to make the next profile cut on the same piece of material.

I got the DRO for my planer. It was such a time saver that I got the tablesaw fence readout which is also very useful, especially for differential measurements from point A to point B. For the router table though, I find these shop made doo-jobbers to be more versatile, plus I can use them on the TS and other places.

Bill Huber
10-23-2009, 11:54 AM
You mount the bit as you normally would.

Then with a plate or something of that type you lay it on the table, raise the bit until it just touches the plate and zero the unit.

Now when you raise it up you are starting form zero.