PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet building Reference book recommendations?

Brent Grooms
10-23-2009, 6:39 AM
I am looking into getting a couple of cabinet building reference books and was wondering how/what anyone thought of them or if anyone had other recommendations...
I am currently looking at... ( I still haven't found a copy at a bookstore to thumb thru)

The Complete Kitchen Cabinetmaker: Shop Drawings and Professional Methods for Designing and Constructing Every Kind of Kitchen and Built-In Cabinet - Robert W. Lang

Cabinetmaking Procedures for the Small Shop - Kevin Fristad

Thanks!

Rick Neely
10-23-2009, 8:32 AM
I have a number of reference books, but my favorite is:

Table Saw Magic by Jim Tolpin

He seems to "know every trick in the book". Anything a table saw can do is covered, and then some.

Jamie Buxton
10-23-2009, 10:48 AM
Bruce Hoadley Understanding Wood. It is a very good treatment of the basic physics of wood, and some about structural engineering. Every woodworker should read it.

Brent Grooms
10-23-2009, 3:59 PM
bump for the evening/weekend

Dan Forman
10-23-2009, 4:13 PM
Cabinet Making and Millwork by John L Feirer. I have the second revised edition, 1982. It's a textbook, nearly 1000 pages, has lots of info on the classic techniques and materials, though will miss any developments after '82. Still a great source of info. You would have to do a Google search to find a used copy. Highly recommended in spite of the age due to the huge amount of info, most of which is still useful.

Illustrated Cabinetmaking: How to Design and Construct Furniture That Works by Bill Hylton. This was all the rage on another forum when it was out of print, selling for upwards of $60. Now it's back in print in a revised edition, for about $25. It covers styles, joinery, and has exploded drawings of all sorts of cabinets and furniture, though no step by step instructions.

Any of Jim Tolpins books are good, he has one on traditional kitchen cabinetry that is excellent and has recently been revised.

Dan

frank shic
10-23-2009, 6:12 PM
brent, are you talking about building kitchen cabinets or furniture cabinets? i'd recommend danny proulx's book on the former and any of glenn huey's on the latter.

Ed Moehlenpah
10-23-2009, 6:19 PM
I like the taunton's complete illustrated woodworking series

The Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture and Cabinet Construction
by Andy Rae

Pat Stewart
10-23-2009, 9:15 PM
I went to the local library and checked out several books on cabinet making (and woodworking). I liked this one the best. It may not be the most concise, but it helped fill in the blanks with out causing insomnia. The price looks good right now as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Building-Kitchen-Cabinets-Udo-Schmidt/dp/1561584703/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256346504&sr=1-1

Roger Jensen
10-23-2009, 10:59 PM
If you're building kitchen cabinets the best book I have found is The Complete Kitchen Cabinetmaker, by Robert Lang. By far the most useful book I have and I think I bought them all...