PDA

View Full Version : Band saw security?

johnny means
10-22-2009, 10:18 PM
Any idea why my band saw has keyed locks on the top and bottom doors?

Jeff Willard
10-22-2009, 10:30 PM
To keep people from stealing the wheels :rolleyes:.

Jeff Willard
10-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Seriously though, what make? I've never heard of it, but just because someone is wise enough to understand that the blade will hurt them, doesn't mean they aren't fool enough to get tangled up in the rest of it :eek:.

mickey cassiba
10-22-2009, 10:45 PM
Never seen such, and I've worked on a lot of band saws. Make, model or pictures?

Steve Rowe
10-22-2009, 10:49 PM
Are there safety switches on the doors that shut the bandsaw down if they are opened? If not, that may explain the purpose of the locks although I have never seen a BS with locks on the doors.

John Harden
10-22-2009, 11:07 PM
Dude, that's just weird. My MM20 (wonderful saw, BTW) has contact switches on the doors to prevent start up while the doors are opened. The doors also have foam insulation around the rim to help with the seal. Nice compression fit and it helps keep the contacts closed.

Makes me wonder if the original owner replaced the catches with turn locks to help keep the doors closed after his foam insulaton compressed to the point that the doors rattled? Either that, or they were just used to keep the doors closed on a saw where the doors didn't stay shut?

Just a couple ideas. I take it that this was a used saw you picked up?

The company I work for makes a LOT of products sold in the EU. Is this a new EU standard?!?!?!!?!?!? :cool: Just kidding....

Mike Wilkins
10-23-2009, 10:28 AM
That is an odd scenario. It is possible that this machine was used in a school or community shop setting, and the owners wanted to keep folks from changing the blade or messing with the settings. Could be used to keep all the dust from escaping the machine. Bandsaws are not configured for the most optimum dust collection efforts.

Rod Sheridan
10-23-2009, 10:46 AM
It may have come from an industrial setting and had to comply with the requirement that covers require a tool to be removed, or opened.

A key for a lock is a tool, as is a screwdriver or wrench.

Regards, Rod.