PDA

View Full Version : Bench grinder flanges

Richard Dooling
10-22-2009, 8:36 PM
Sorry if I've missed a post but I'm having trouble finding a source for properly milled bench grinder wheel flanges. I've experienced heavy levels of bench grinder vibration since I switched the left and right wheels. I have searched the posts and Googled but have not been able to locate a supplier of better made flanges. Anyone have any sources for these?

I've tried various methods of carefully rotating the wheel/flange alignment with some success, but I think that the flanges I have are just poorly made. They look to be stamped and roughly formed rather than milled.

Thanks

harry strasil
10-22-2009, 8:40 PM
Flanges won't cause vibration just wobble. FWIW

Bruce Page
10-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Richard, get a pair of these, they work wonders.

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12734

Paul Atkins
10-22-2009, 10:57 PM
Vibration is from badly made wheels. O.K. Not all vibration. Dress the wheel, make sure the bore is good and the shaft is concentric and all will be well with the world. I have made wheel flanges from aluminum from 3/8" to 1/2" flat stock and it works great. Having a metal lathe helps. Sounds like a market waiting to be exploited.

Wayne Cannon
10-23-2009, 2:34 AM
I've had excellent results from these OneWay grinding wheel balancers. Dressing the wheel to a true round plus balancing has solved all of my vibration issues.

Richard Dooling
10-23-2009, 4:35 PM
Thanks for the replies. Harry you are right, the wheels are wobbling side to side but that is causing vibration at certain speeds. At slower RPMs I can see the wheel wobble left to right. At full RPM the setup is pretty smooth. I guess the wobble cancels itself out at higher speeds? It is at certain points of coming up to speed and winding down that there is more shaking than I like.

I have the wheel radially round so there's no real issue with getting a good grind. But since I can vary the amount of wobble by moving the flange-wheel-flange relationship, I was assuming that better flanges might help.

I have looked at the Oneway solution but that looks like it balances for inconsistent densities in the wheel, plus I’m pretty sure I’d have to buy new wheels to get the required 1” dia. shaft hole. I don’t think mine are that big without the bushings.

I am getting good edges so maybe I just ignore it.:confused:

harry strasil
10-23-2009, 4:38 PM
its only the inside flange that will affect the wheel, reverse them if possible.

Richard Dooling
10-23-2009, 4:44 PM
As usual, excellent advice Harry, I'll try that this weekend. Both inner and outer flanges are removable.

Thanks!