PDA

View Full Version : These look really neat

Martin Cash
10-22-2009, 7:21 PM
Rob Lee has posted pix of a forthcoming release from Lee Valley that look very very interesting, and dare I say quite desirable.
No more details are available at the moment but I think, like me, you will like the look of this plane:

Erik Manchester
10-22-2009, 7:44 PM
Martin,

Thanks for posting the photos, as I had heard from Rob that these were coming, but hadn't seen the photos. I have eyed a few old Millers Falls No 7 Skew Block planes, but decided to hold out for the high quality LV solution. I hope that they come as a pair at a reduced price similar to the Skew Plow Planes.

Erik

Larry Marshall
10-22-2009, 7:57 PM
Rob Lee has posted pix of a forthcoming release from Lee Valley that look very very interesting, and dare I say quite desirable.

Very interesting tool. I can see many uses for this in my work, a lot of which is small. The way they've provided an adjustable skewed mouth is very "spiffy" (which is a technical term).

Cheers --- Larry
http://www.woodnbits.com/blog

gary Zimmel
10-22-2009, 8:01 PM
Thanks for the heads up Martin.

It will really be nice if they bring it to market like the NX60....
Now that would be a great addition to the stable.

Jim Nardi
10-22-2009, 8:23 PM
Probably be a deep discount when they are released.:eek:

Randy Klein
10-22-2009, 8:27 PM
Where did he post those?

Maurice Ungaro
10-22-2009, 8:29 PM
I think Rob should let some of us "test drive" them, and let him know what we think! :D

David Gendron
10-22-2009, 9:07 PM
Realy nice! man these guys are thinking!

jerry nazard
10-22-2009, 10:19 PM
Yikes! Hello Santa!!

Martin: thank you for posting.

Derek Cohen
10-22-2009, 11:27 PM
One of the important differences of this plane versus the LN/Stanley version is that the rabbet side of the plane is not removable - it does not need to be removed (as with the LN/Stanley version) as the blade extends across the body.

Also, note the adjustable mouth.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Martin Cash
10-23-2009, 4:03 AM
Where did he post those?

These were first posted here:
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f152/new-veritas-saws-103811/index3.html
They have been well received in Australia as well.
Derek has had input into the process at some point.
The Woodwork Forums are a fantastic collection of discussion groups.
Similar to this one but maybe a little more diverse.
Well worth joining.
MC

Gregg Feldstone
10-23-2009, 4:36 AM
Does the bed actually retain a recessed area in front of the blade? It would seem that something high and small enough could actually get caught there. I am new to planes, but I have never seen a plane bed with a "gap" in front of (or behind) the mouth.

Ken Werner
10-23-2009, 8:17 AM
Hot dog! Thanks for the warning. Looks very cool. Should be interesting to watch what happens when it comes to market. Best wishes to Rob Lee & Co.

Justin Cavender
10-23-2009, 4:41 PM
does anyone know when they are coming out?

Derek Cohen
10-23-2009, 10:02 PM
The planes are still in the pre-production stage of testing. I have one arriving soon for this purpose (a step up from plastic :) ). Usually Rob keeps all this under his hat, but he has mentioned on the Aussie forum (Ubeaut) that "They should be available early in the new year...".

Regards from Perth

Derek

Eric Brown
10-24-2009, 7:56 AM
This new plane looks like a scaled down version of the "large" skew rabbet planes except the adjustable mouth. Makes me wonder about the need for that adjustment. Usually rabbet planes take thick shavings and need an open mouth. This little one should be able to take finer cuts, but then why didn't they also do that to the "large" ones? I'll say right now that the extra cost for the adjustable mouth would have been worth it for the "large" versions too.
Be interesting to see if the same rods are used between versions if you needed to move the fence out further.

Eric

Rob Lee
10-26-2009, 10:17 AM
does anyone know when they are coming out?

Hi Justin,

We're still in pre-production, sorting out a few things (like optimising tooling etc.) but the current plan has them hitting the shelves end of January.... that could change somewhat, depending on capacity. We're running full-out right now, on a number of products...

There will be a pair, and we'll likely have an intro special on them... though I don't know what that will be.

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Lee
10-26-2009, 10:25 AM
This new plane looks like a scaled down version of the "large" skew rabbet planes except the adjustable mouth. Makes me wonder about the need for that adjustment. Usually rabbet planes take thick shavings and need an open mouth. This little one should be able to take finer cuts, but then why didn't they also do that to the "large" ones? I'll say right now that the extra cost for the adjustable mouth would have been worth it for the "large" versions too.
Be interesting to see if the same rods are used between versions if you needed to move the fence out further.

Eric

Hi Eric -

Couple of quick answers...

We did not judge it necessary to have an adjusable mouth on the larger planes - with a 45 degree bed angle, and a 30 degree skew, it has different cutting characteristics. The block is a low bed angle...

Rods should fit both planes. I'm not sure why one would need more capacity though....

Cheers -

Rob