PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on buying a Bosch Colt router

Louis Brandt
10-22-2009, 6:28 PM
Hello,

I’ve been looking at the Bosch Colt router for a long time, and even though I already have a full-sized Bosch router (the 1617EVSPK), I’d like to consider getting the Colt to go with it. BUT, I’m having trouble justifying it (I know, “get the tool first, then find a use for it”), but seriously, I’d like to hear from those of you who have the Colt.

So, for you Colt owners, and especially those who also have a full-sized router, what uses have you found for it?

Thanks,
Louis

Zach England
10-22-2009, 6:31 PM
I use it to make small radius roundovers and for cutting things like masonite. it is just easier to handle for small jobs, especially if you have to hold it vertically.

Mac Cambra
10-22-2009, 7:03 PM
Small radius round overs and flush trim it is very nice.

One complaint, you must be very careful with the clamp tension or the depth of cut will change while in use. Learned that the hard way and ruined some stock. Once the clamp tension is set it is okay.

Craig McCormick
10-22-2009, 7:16 PM
My clamp tension was not set high enough from the factory.

I use mine for small round overs, cutting hinge and lockset mortises for interior doors, and flush trimming.

AZCRAIG

Peter Quinn
10-22-2009, 7:27 PM
I have 5 other routers and several shapers, but I still love my bosch colt. It is great for small flush trim applications with a spiral carbide, some pattern routing on smaller parts, little round overs and such. It has more power than most laminate trimmers, but is still easy to use one handed. It has become an invaluable part of my arsenal in short order. I'm of the "Use the smallest router that will get the job done well" school, so not every task requires a 2 1/4HP tool to accomplish. Its nice having multiple options on some jobs where you want to set something up and leave it for the remainder of a job too.