PDA

View Full Version : Urban Lumber Gloat

Andy Pedler
10-22-2009, 5:22 PM
I'm generally the last person to find out about any great deal, but for the first time I stumbled upon a great deal on some wood. I noticed an ad on Craig's list indicating that a shop was going out of business and they were selling off their hardwood stock. Not too much detail in the ad but it was close to work and I decided to stop by.

I met the owner who said the shop closing down was working out for everyone, which made me feel a bit better. The two owners were retiring and some of the guys in the shop were starting their own business. Pretty much everyone had jobs lined up after the place closed down, which was good to hear.

They didn't have huge quantities of material left, but I picked up as many pieces as would fit in my hatchback. Species include white oak, birch, sapele, mahogany, and one piece of cherry. All for $10. :)

I noticed a pile of rough cherry sitting on a cart and there were several nice pieces in the mix, but all were 8-10' long and wouldn't fit in my car. So I decided to pass on that.

The next morning I decided I'd stop by and see if the cherry had been sold. It hadn't! And even better, the owner said they were getting ready to mill it. If I'd take the whole lot he'd mill it up for me in a few hours. No problem! So yesterday I brought this home. Most is milled to 3/4", some 1/2", some 1-3/4".
For $20. :D

First time I've been able to gloat about anything. Now I'm stocked up for quite some time.

Andy - Newark, CA

Dean Karavite
10-22-2009, 5:33 PM
That is a very worthy gloat! Have fun with your new wood. What are you going to build?

Michael Weber
10-22-2009, 6:11 PM
Nice! It must be National Cabinet Shop Auction Week. Had a similar wood gloat posted here earlier this week. WE SUCK:rolleyes:

Mike Cruz
10-22-2009, 7:02 PM
Soooooooo, do you need someone to be so kind as to put that wood in their rack to have, I mean, to hold for you until you need it?

Great find. Keep searching, more out there!

Brent Ring
10-22-2009, 7:11 PM
Nice! You Suck!

Andy Pedler
10-23-2009, 2:08 AM
That is a very worthy gloat! Have fun with your new wood. What are you going to build?

The first project on deck is advent calendar boxes. I was going to make one of these for my wife, then she asked for 3, one for her and one for each of the kids. :eek:

I was planning to use some leftover poplar and paint them, but now I'm leaning toward cherry/oak/mahogany and a nice clearcoat. Here's a picture of what I'm thinking about.

Anyone have advice on how to hide those hinges? Not a big deal, but a hidden hinge would look cleaner.

Thanks,

Andy - Newark, CA

Harlan Coverdale
10-23-2009, 2:26 AM
Anyone have advice on how to hide those hinges? Not a big deal, but a hidden hinge would look cleaner.

Thanks,

Andy - Newark, CA

Congrats on the nice haul.

For the hinges, how about a continuous pin?

If drilling the long accurate holes is a problem, you could cut a saw kerf on the edge of the door and then run a continuous 'plug' to cover the kerf, leaving a square hole for the pin.

Do that treatment to the edge of a 24" or so board, and you could get a lot of doors out of a single board.