PDA

View Full Version : Need help for wireless network.....

Chuck Wintle
09-24-2004, 7:24 PM
I want to set up a wireless network (801 G) and I am not sure what to buy. I have a notebook with built in wireless and 2 computers one of which is connected to the internet with a USB adsl modem. How should I configure this to work? Can I connect a gateway to the main computer via the ethernet connection?

Larry Browning
09-24-2004, 7:35 PM
You need a wireless router hooked to the DSL modem. These usually come with a built in network hub that you can hook your desktop computers to and then the notebook can access the network via the wireless access point. You should check out the deals they have over at amazon.com. Just do a search on wireless network.
Good luck,

Larry

Dean Baumgartner
09-24-2004, 8:34 PM
You're right Larry. That's exactly the setup I have at home. Works great and since I live way out in the country and my nearest neighbor is over 1/4 mile away there hasn't been any problem with somebody jumping on my signal.

Dean

Jim Becker
09-24-2004, 9:43 PM
The one hitch is that you currently have a USB-based DSL "modem"...you need an Ethernet-based replacement in order to use the 802.11g accesspoint as both a wireless networking device and a firewall/gateway to the Internet. Talk with your provider about swaping out the USB device for an Ethernet unit.

As to the computers, your notebook is ready to go. Your other two units will need wireless network adapter cards (or wired Ethernet interfaces if they are located near the 802.11g access point...it will also have wired interfaces you can use for that. I happen to like the Linksys products in this space and the WRT54G 802.11g wireless router is an excellent product for this. (I recently bought one to replace an older Linksys router that got damaged electrically through my own stupidity) With the rebate, it was about $60...which is a steal, IMHO. Info at http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=601

I bought mine at Staples, but there are lots of places that sell these devices. But again, you'll need to switch out your DSL modem for an Ethernet version.

Chuck Wintle
09-24-2004, 10:01 PM
Lets say I want to wire in my main computer to the ethernet port(Rj45 connection) so where would the modem go then? I am really not informed on the subject at all.

JayStPeter
09-24-2004, 10:02 PM
I also have the Linksys setup. Not mentioned is the extra hardware firewall built in. Good for a little extra protection.
One caveat that won't apply to you, the Linksys PCMCIA cards don't (or at least didn't) have Linux drivers available. Since I dual boot, I have to walk over and plug in when I go Linux.

Jay

Jim Becker
09-24-2004, 10:03 PM
Lets say I want to wire in my main computer to the ethernet port(Rj45 connection) so where would the modem go then? I am really not informed on the subject at all.Charles, the DSL modem connects to the input (WAN) Ethernet port on the wireless access point/router. Any computers using wired Ethernet plug into one of the 4 available Ethernet ports on the back of the access point/router. This is why you need to exchange the DSL modem for an Ethernet unit. Please note that the reference to the 4 ports for computers is based on the Linksys unit I mentioned and would apply in many other cases, although the number of available ports might be different on other brands/models.

Brian Hale
09-24-2004, 10:41 PM
I'm running a wireless/wired network with a USB "modem". The USB goes from my modem to the main computer. From there my wireless router is connected to the LAN port on the same computer. From the wireless router i run a cable to my file server and backup computer so i have higher speeds for file transfer/backup. The wireless also runs 2 Dell laptops and a Mac powerbook.

Any computer that you can run a wire to (CAT-5) is the best way to go as wireless, though very convenient, is noticeably slower than a wired LAN connection.

In other words...
adsl into the house and into your modem
usb from modem to main computer
LAN wire from same computer to wireless router

FWIW, my brother in law suggested Belkin routers and such and they work well for me. He's an IT fellow for NSA and usually gives good advice....

Have Fun!
Brian

Jim Becker
09-24-2004, 10:46 PM
The one issue with daisy chaining via the one computer and USB is that you're adding extra complexity and routing since instead of just two networks (outside and inside) you have three. (Outside, USB to PC and Inside) You also lose the network if you have to reboot the gateway PC. Not a horrible thing, but could be anoying if someone is downloading/uploading something large and/or important at that particular point of time. (Not that PCs every need to be rebooted... :D) This is why I sincerely recommend not using the USB type DSL modems for multi-computer setups.

Jeremy Bracey
09-24-2004, 10:57 PM
One, I am a Linksys fan for home use. For the price the quality is more than adequate for that use. I have used two Belkin wireless routers and had TERRIBLE luck with both. No personal experience with NetGear but a few friends are happy with it.

If you are looking for a serious duty product Proxim makes a good small office product (although many smal offices get by with Linksys, netgear, etc.)

I have been to a couple of 802.11 conferences in the past 18 months and although most of the conversation is about more "commercial" product, it does seem that almost everyone at these conventions is running linksys at home. It may be quality, it may be comfort with the Cisco name.

I am a wireless data product manager and have had quiet a bit of experienc in with WiFi.

Brian Hale
09-24-2004, 11:01 PM
Good point Jim. Adding a wireless network to the existing setup is a one step process...... Plug in the router and boot the laptop.

Living out in the sticks so-to-speak, the only high speed connection i can get is Direcway satellite and at the time USB modems were the only options. One advantage is that i have the firewall in my gateway computer (win XP Pro) along with the one in the wireless router. Over kill sure but kids can do amazing things..... :rolleyes:

My main point was Charles can add a wireless network to his existing system eaisly.

Just another option for skinning the same cat...... :)

Brian

Jim Becker
09-24-2004, 11:10 PM
You're right, Brian. I should have said he could do it in the manner you illustrated. I guess that after 20+ years in the IT/networking/telecommunications business I tend to stick to the KISS method for home networks, especially when the owners aren't in the biz. Even my own network here at the house, with all the stuff on it due to my job (home office) is set up similarly to the way I mentioned above, although I have two wireless access points due to the nature of our home's construction and 48 ports of 10/100 Ethernet available. (mostly left dark to conserve energy since I can't expense my electric bill!)

I hear you on the USB issue with the satilite system...ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

Jeremy Bracey
09-24-2004, 11:20 PM
Brian,

I am building a house in the spring. I am very excited EXCEPT no DSL, no cable. So far (becase of my job its free) I had been considering going wireless (GSM/edge) it wouldnt be nearly as fast or efficient as broadband.

I woudl also consier Directway. How has your experience been? Was the upfront $$$ big? How are the speeds?

Thanks for any info.

Brian Hale
09-25-2004, 6:47 AM
Jeremy,

Direcway is fine. Download speeds on large files range from ~160 - 200kbps, sometimes a bit faster and i did have one from Adobe (134mb) at 265, my fastest. Upload speeds are about 1/2 that.

My setup uses software for the "modem" which is a PITA if you need to change computers, do a reinstall etc. They do have one thats similar to a router but it's an additional $255.00 upgrade for me. Not sure about a new install.

My dish is on the roof and it took ~2.5 hours from the time the guys pulled into the driveway to surfing. $600.00 at the time (last year)

The drawbacks... There is a 2-5 second delay between the time you click on a link and something starts to happen. Once it starts, if seems to be about 2-3 times the speed of my old dialup account. Heavy rain and snow will knock it out but you do get a dialup account at no charge.

You can't do internet gaming because of the delay.

Downloading from my file server to my brother in laws (using SSH or WinSCP) will max out at 34kbps.

More than one person surfing the net at one time can really slow things down. More than 2 and it's downright painful. The dely on the other computer is a bit longer than my main one.

Service and technical support 365/24/7 are top notch if you can understand the Inidan accent.

If there was another option i'd go for it in a minute. but......

Brian

Jim Becker
09-25-2004, 9:10 AM
Jeremy Using VPN (Virtual Private Network) access (for work) can also be problematic or impossible via sat services due to the extreme latency. There was an article in one of my trades recently that indicated they were working on a solution for that, but I don't know if or when it may be widely deployed.

JayStPeter
09-25-2004, 11:23 AM
Anyone have problems with cordless phones killing the wireless connections? Any solutions (aside from replacing my phone with one on a different band)?

Thanks,

Jay

Jim Becker
09-25-2004, 11:28 AM
Anyone have problems with cordless phones killing the wireless connections? Any solutions (aside from replacing my phone with one on a different band)?
I was actually worried about this when I first started using wireless, but have not had an issue with the Panasonic multi-line, multi-handset 2.4ghz phone system I put in the house about four years ago. If your phone setup is killing your wireless connection, you can try a 5ghz phone or switch to 802.11a wireless, which also runs at 5ghz. The latter tends to have a little less range than 802.11b/g, however, and is more affected by environmentals, such as building materials. (The reason I have to run two access points is due to the wire lathe behind the plaster in the 250 year old portion of our home...it attenuates the signal big-time to the other end of the house)

Brian Hale
09-25-2004, 11:28 AM
I've heard the 2.4ghz phones can mess with the wireless. AFAIK, a different bandwidth is the only solution.....

I could be wrong here.... just passing along what i've heard

Brian

JayStPeter
09-25-2004, 1:22 PM
Currently I have Linksys 802.11g and a Panasonic cordless 2.4G phone. The phone is multi-line and built in answering, so I'd rather not have to spend the cash replacing it. But, about every 5th call, the wireless just dies when the phone is used. Very aggrivating to say the least.

Jay

Brian Hale
09-25-2004, 1:40 PM
Does the wireless cut out when the phone rings or when you use the phone? Perhaps a cheap phone on another freq. on the same line could be used for general conversations....

Just spitballing.........

Brian

Dan Mages
09-26-2004, 8:53 AM
Brian,

I am building a house in the spring. I am very excited EXCEPT no DSL, no cable. So far (becase of my job its free) I had been considering going wireless (GSM/edge) it wouldnt be nearly as fast or efficient as broadband.

I woudl also consier Directway. How has your experience been? Was the upfront $$$ big? How are the speeds?

Thanks for any info.

Good Morning Jeremy. I HIGHLY reccomend running CAT-5 or CAT-6 (a higher rate cable) in your new house. It is very similar to running telephone lines except that you want to home run the wires to a central location like a den or a basement. On the higher end side, you can wire your house wit a structured wiring system. This will give you a wire bundle of two CAT-5 or 6, two coax, and the option for rough wiring fiber optics. The wire bundles are run to a central panel which gives you amazing flexibility for sharing resources throughout your house. I used www.futuresmart.com for my house.

Jim has done a great job covering the questions on networking. I also want to reccomend Linksys for home networking. I also want to reccomend some security items to set up on your network. This will help prevent hackers from getting into your system.

1. Change your sys admin password!!! mine is 28 characters long, both letters and numbers with a mixture of upper and lower case letters. The longer and more complicated, the harder it will be to hack.
3. Change the SSID on your network and disable the SSID broadcast on your network.
4. Enable MAC address filtering. This is not as effective in keeping out hackers, but it gives them another layer of fustration.
5. Enable WPA encryption with a temporal key. Make the key as long as possible with a combo of upper and lower case letters, numbers, and punctuations.

If you have problems with cordless phones, try changing the channel on your router. That may help eliminate the interferance.

3 bits (adjusted for inflation)

Dan

Jim Becker
09-26-2004, 10:59 AM
Currently I have Linksys 802.11g and a Panasonic cordless 2.4G phone. The phone is multi-line and built in answering, so I'd rather not have to spend the cash replacing it. But, about every 5th call, the wireless just dies when the phone is used. Very aggrivating to say the least.
Sounds like my setup is similar...I have the Panasonic 2 line (there is a 4 line version that I didn't opt for) and both a Linksys 802.11g AP/FW as well as an Orinoco 802.11b AP. No problems with interference outside of the "house environmentals I previously mentioned. Try changing the channel on the AP to see if you get better results.

JayStPeter
09-26-2004, 5:56 PM
Does the wireless cut out when the phone rings or when you use the phone? Perhaps a cheap phone on another freq. on the same line could be used for general conversations....

Just spitballing.........

Brian

It's hard to tell exactly when it cuts out. But, I was thinking about putting a cheap phone out and using the base of that one just for an answering machine. Our 2nd phone, also a 2.4G (but a GE), never has a problem. So, when I'm working on something important, I bring that handset down and stash the other in a drawer.

Try changing the channel on the AP to see if you get better results.

I've changed the channel once with no luck. But, I'll definitely try at least a few more channels before I resort to throwing money at the problem.

Thanks for the ideas.

Jay