PDA

View Full Version : The New Yankee Workshop calling it quits

Charlie T. Bear
10-22-2009, 4:37 PM
I just got an email from wood mag!

I just got word (http://www.woodmagazine.com/dgroups/persona.jsp?userId=4d3c9a99a4711a853a3a45b2c33c3d3 1&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckUserId=4d3c9a99a4711a853a3a45b2c33c3d31&plckPostId=Blog%3a4d3c9a99a4711a853a3a45b2c33c3d31 Post%3a966e7b6e-51c1-4dff-93c3-bc8f5b7bc4f4&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest) this afternoon that The New Yankee Workshop is ending its run on PBS after 21 seasons. I confirmed this with WGBH-TV in Boston. Norm Abram, the carpenter turned furnituremaker made famous by this show, will continue to host This Old House on PBS, now in its 30th year.

Man its a sad day! I love that show!:mad:

Bill Arnold
10-22-2009, 5:04 PM
There have been posts about that all week long. :confused:

Tim Morton
10-22-2009, 6:41 PM
First i heard about it...thanks for the heads up. End of an era.....

Barry Bruner
10-31-2009, 7:00 PM
I was in a Woodcraft store today and overheard three guys talking about Norm and was laughing about his work. I started to put my two cents in but decided to shut up. All of his shows are sure not fine woodworking but that might be because his sponsors sell stuff that a fine woodworker would already have. I liked to watch him, so I assume those guys must have been pretty good wood workers. I think Norm can make about anything anyone can but the poor guy only has 20 minutes after the commericals. I would imagine we will see re-runs for another twenty years. Barry Bruner

Rory Talkington
10-31-2009, 7:20 PM
He and a few others "outed" woodworking on some of the old PBS stations. Good for them. They helped popularize our sport. God speed and best wishes Norm.

Barry Bruner
10-31-2009, 9:28 PM
I will second that and I also like your jeep. BarryBruner

Denny Rice
10-31-2009, 11:17 PM
I was in a Woodcraft store today and overheard three guys talking about Norm and was laughing about his work. I started to put my two cents in but decided to shut up. All of his shows are sure not fine woodworking but that might be because his sponsors sell stuff that a fine woodworker would already have. I liked to watch him, so I assume those guys must have been pretty good wood workers. I think Norm can make about anything anyone can but the poor guy only has 20 minutes after the commericals. I would imagine we will see re-runs for another twenty years. Barry Bruner

Barry,

You will find not just in Woodcraft, but everywhere (including this forum) there seems to be a lot of "Norm bashing" and I just don't understand it. Norm has done more for the hobby of woodworking in the last 20 plus years than anyone out there. I just don't get it.....

Rory Talkington
11-01-2009, 2:17 AM
......... I also like your jeep. BarryBruner

Thanks, as with all Willys...a labor of love. :D

Eric Larsen
11-01-2009, 12:21 PM
I'm afraid that after Norm retires, there will be.... nothing.

I don't see another woodworking show ever getting much traction. DIY network? Nothing worth watching on the whole network in my opinion.

Wood Works was a great show. But just like Norm has a few hundred thousand in tools that I never will, David has a few hundred thousand in hardwood that I never will.

I think we're going to have to rely on the Internet for new content. It's a shame -- because there are so few truly great teachers out there. Finding one who also knows how to make heirloom quality furniture is rare, indeed.

Curt Harms
11-02-2009, 9:49 AM
I'm afraid that after Norm retires, there will be.... nothing.

I don't see another woodworking show ever getting much traction. DIY network? Nothing worth watching on the whole network in my opinion.

Wood Works was a great show. But just like Norm has a few hundred thousand in tools that I never will, David has a few hundred thousand in hardwood that I never will.

I think we're going to have to rely on the Internet for new content. It's a shame -- because there are so few truly great teachers out there. Finding one who also knows how to make heirloom quality furniture is rare, indeed.

I think that's the point that Morash was trying to make in his interview. There just isn't a lot of mainstream interest in NYW/Woodworks type programming. Look at how NYW fared when PBS had their month long begathons going on.

Horton Brasses
11-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Charles Neil is doing a weekly 1/2 hour online show devoted to teaching. Worth a look:

www.charlesneilwoodworking.com

Laurie Brown
12-07-2009, 8:59 PM
Well, this blows royal chunks!!

I just started regularly watching this show a couple seasons ago, and I was looking forward to the new season starting! Now NOTHING!! *sobbing hysterically*

All we have left to watch here now is Woodturning Workshop (doesn't help me much, not a turner), and Woodsmith Shop (an ok show). Wonder how long before they get axed.

Thank goodness I've been DVRing them all this time. I have a good collection of eps now, at least I can watch those. I can't believe Norm is still doing This Old House (which I almost never watch) and giving up the show that's of REAL use! Argh!!! Obviously they make more money running This Old Million-Dollar House... sigh.
RIP, NYW.