PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a sign quote...

Joseph Tovar
10-22-2009, 4:47 AM
Hi All,

For the last year or so I've been doing a few small side projects, mostly onsie, twosie jobs, but I had someone approach me and ask for a quote for some basic engraved signs. This was a large order(at least for me) so I need a little help quoting this job. I always see the price go down as the quantity goes up, but how do you know how low the floor is no matter what the quantity is? Also, I've seen people use different methods of quoting jobs...time...material...per sq inch, etc. Since this isn't my full time job and it's something I do on the side, I'm not very good at this portion of the business. Any suggestions?

This will be using some standard Rowmark laserable plastic, probably 1/8" thick. The job is for the following items:

Qty: ~60 - 6"x9" (Single line, text only)
Qty: ~30 - 7"x10" (Single line, text only)
Qty: ~550 - 2"x10" (Single line, text only)

What are some of the typical things you might do to get the job(besides the pricing)...Waive the fee for the design or setup? Give a few samples?

Anyways, any help would be appreciated since I'm not used to these types of quantities. If I charged the normal 1 piece rate, they'de probably walk away in a heartbeat. Are there any spreadsheets, software, etc used for creating estimates or quotes that someone can recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Joe Pelonio
10-22-2009, 8:03 AM
I normally charge my hourly rate for time spent and double the material cost. On something like a simple 1"x3" name badge that might come out to $2 so I also have a minimum for small orders as it's not worth the time to do anything for $2.

For larger orders I'll give a discount on the time, a percentage off that increases for certain levels of quantity such as 50, 100, 250 and 500.

You would have to decide what percentages make sense for you based on
your overhead and competition, and whether there's potential for a lot more business from that customer.

Mike Null
10-22-2009, 8:17 AM
Another way is by the square inch.

The order looks like room signs and office nameplates. If that's it the 550 may be 1/16" instead of 1/8".

I wouldn't charge a set up fee but would insist that the order be sent via a Word or email document which could be converted without typing.

I normally charge about $8 for a 2"x10" nameplate for my regulars but for an order this large I'd probably be at $7 or even $6.50 each.

Do they want a bevel, or tape on the back?

James Stokes
10-22-2009, 12:55 PM
On something like that I would probably figure the material x 3 and just charge that.

Joseph Tovar
10-22-2009, 2:53 PM
Thanks for the advice!

AL Ursich
10-22-2009, 3:31 PM
I have pretty good luck with 3 x material for Wholesale and 4 x for Retail.

Round up and consider waste into it. Charge what the market will bear....

I do wood signs and just lost a Realtor customer because I raised my price $10.00 from $50.00 to $60.00. They supply the new homeowner a new sign.

I do it as a business and pay 30% tax on it... He does it in his garage with a Rockler router template set for $35.00 as a Hobby.... No Tax.... hobby....

I said fine, there is enough room for both of us making signs.... A Realtor just asked me if I would do signs for them in the Winter when he is in Florida and I said "Sure"....

Charge what you can and try to not undercut yourself.

He is limited to one font and 2 inch text. I am unlimited as it is CNC cut... With a CarveWright but it works....

I have the Development business making the new signs and posts for new homes as they give you a 1099 at the end of the year. I welcome the business. With 5000 homes there is enough for both of us....

I even make the Green 911 Address Signs if they need them.

AL:)