PDA

View Full Version : silver maple. how is it for woodworking

cody michael
10-21-2009, 9:53 PM
I am thinking about lumber a silver maple tree. to use for basic woodworking. no specific plans things like end tables bookcases shelves etc.

how well does this wood work?

how does it look? would it make nice furniture?

Gary Breckenridge
10-21-2009, 10:57 PM
Remember the ugly blonde furniture of the late 1950's ?;)

IMHO silver maple works like maple.;)

Paul Johnstone
10-22-2009, 10:12 AM
I am thinking about lumber a silver maple tree. to use for basic woodworking. no specific plans things like end tables bookcases shelves etc.

how well does this wood work?

how does it look? would it make nice furniture?

I use maple in my woodworking. I think it looks really nice with just oil based poly. It gives it a light brown look. Maybe I can post some pictures later.

Other people will stain maple with a cherry stain and it will look pretty convincing as cherry. In fact, a friend of mine in the furniture manufacturing business told me that all their "cherry" furniture (even the solid wood stuff) is really maple.

So.. if you can get it cut and dried efficiently, I think you should go for it.
I hope I am not insulting your intelligence, but keep in mind that you are going to have to air dry it for a considerable amount of time (about a year for 1" thick) or take it somewhere to get it kiln dried. Good luck.

Brent Ring
10-22-2009, 11:45 AM
I use maple in my woodworking. I think it looks really nice with just oil based poly. It gives it a light brown look. Maybe I can post some pictures later.

Other people will stain maple with a cherry stain and it will look pretty convincing as cherry. In fact, a friend of mine in the furniture manufacturing business told me that all their "cherry" furniture (even the solid wood stuff) is really maple.

So.. if you can get it cut and dried efficiently, I think you should go for it.
I hope I am not insulting your intelligence, but keep in mind that you are going to have to air dry it for a considerable amount of time (about a year for 1" thick) or take it somewhere to get it kiln dried. Good luck.

+1 on everything Paul just said. Goes a bit browner with shellac IMO. Great as a secondary wood for drawers, etc, espcecially if the grain is plain.

cody michael
10-22-2009, 5:55 PM
i take the wood to a guy who cuts it into planks and dries it cost about 56 cents a bd. ft.

okay thanks how durable is it? (holds up to nicks and dents)

harry strasil
10-22-2009, 7:51 PM
slightly spalted from air drying, but, the base usually has mineral colors to it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/table2.jpg

cody michael
10-23-2009, 6:58 AM
thats pretty, i'll have to try and get tree done

Dale Osowski
10-23-2009, 9:29 AM
The top for this table is Silver Maple, great color, light spalting and curl.

Danny Hamsley
10-23-2009, 8:18 PM
Cody,

I would go for it!

Gary Herrmann
10-23-2009, 8:40 PM
I've got two sliver maples in my yard that I plan on harvesting soon.