PDA

View Full Version : Oshlum Dado

Jim Solomon
10-21-2009, 9:37 PM
I am in need of a decent dado. I am considering the Oshlum. Does anyone have experience with it, and if it produces flat bottom dados? I am a disabled Vet on a fixed income and this fits my budget, that is why I am considering it versus the more expensive dados. I have a 1988 PM 66 5hp single phase TS. If I get it (Oshlum) should I purchase the 10" or 8"? I seldom use a dado, and in the past used a router bit. The most important feature for me is the flat bottom cut. I would appreciate any input about the cuts produced by this dado. If it is recommended what vender that supports the 'Creek does anyone recommned? I would only purchase it from one of those venders.
Jim

Paul Ryan
10-21-2009, 10:03 PM
Jim,

I own that Dado and have had really good luck with it. Flat bottoms for most of my work. Every now and then it is uneven. I think it has something to do with set up. If that happens I usually loosen up the blades and readjust them. Usually I stagger them so the teeth are right behind each other in a diagonal row. Anyway yes it can and does produce flat bottoms. It also cuts very cleanly in plywood and melamine. I am happy with my purchase. I bought it from Holbren.com if you use code SC10 you can get 10% off. I don't know if he is a contributor but he is well like around here.

Jim Solomon
10-21-2009, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the info Paul, much appreciated!
Jim

Simon Dupay
10-22-2009, 1:05 AM
Freud has a nice set for $95, much better then a Chinese set.

Chuck Schultz
10-22-2009, 9:52 AM
I also have the Oshlun dado set. I used it to make several cabinets for my laundry out of melamine. It produced very nice, flat-bottomed dado's with virtually no tear out.

I would definitely recommend this dado set for the budget conscious consumer.

John Thompson
10-22-2009, 10:53 AM
I don't have the Oshlun dado as I also use a router bit to do them but... I do have an Oshlun 40 teeth TS blade I purchased from Brian at Holbren for $25. Frankly the blade cuts as well as any of the 40 tooth I have purchased in the $60-$70 range. It's simply a good blade even though the thickness of the carbide teeth will drop the number of sharpenings about 3 from what I guess compared to them. (Freud.. Infinity.. Amana) But... for $25 the blade is certainly a bargain and the quality of build is excellent IMO.

I see no need if you only cut a few dadoes to get the 10" as 8" is more than sufficient. I suppose my question would be why you want to go from using a router bit (I assume you use a home-made T square with it for precision) to a dado? I did just the opposite years ago and found I prefer the router bit with the T square fence.

Good luck with your decision vet... and thanks for serving!

Steve Wurster
10-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Jim,

I bought it from Holbren.com if you use code SC10 you can get 10% off. I don't know if he is a contributor but he is well like around here.

I think the code at Holbren is SMC10.

BTW, I also have this set (8") and like it a lot.

jim hedgpeth
10-22-2009, 1:44 PM
Good dado set, flat bottoms, smooth cuts, and a good price from Holbren. Got mine a couple months ago, have used it a lot already. SMC10 code is correct, Paul probably had a typo.

Jim

Jim Solomon
10-22-2009, 8:04 PM
I see no need if you only cut a few dadoes to get the 10" as 8" is more than sufficient. I suppose my question would be why you want to go from using a router bit (I assume you use a home-made T square with it for precision) to a dado? I did just the opposite years ago and found I prefer the router bit with the T square fence.

Good luck with your decision vet... and thanks for serving!
Thanks for the reply John, no need to thank me for serving ('68-'71 -I did 2 tours in Nam as a door gunner HAL-3 Squadron), I enlisted because I felt it was my duty. Two of my uncles died on Omaha Beach, one in the landing craft, the other on the beach, but I suppose quite a few of us have had those losses in our families reguardless of what war they served.
I wanted to get a dado blade[oshlum] versus only using a router bit as I felt it gave me more width options. I figured by the time I purchased the undersized plywood router bits, etc. I could hve purchased a dado for just about the same price and have more width options.
I really appreciate all of the replies!
Jim

Jim Solomon
10-22-2009, 8:23 PM
I think the code at Holbren is SMC10.

BTW, I also have this set (8") and like it a lot.

Thanks for that info Steve, I ordered it.
Jim

Jim Solomon
10-22-2009, 8:30 PM
Good dado set, flat bottoms, smooth cuts, and a good price from Holbren. Got mine a couple months ago, have used it a lot already. SMC10 code is correct, Paul probably had a typo.

Jim

Yes it is SMC10. I know all about typos, I could spell pretty well in my youth but have slipped lately(grey hair syndrome?:() You would think I would have had enough sense to use the spell checker :rolleyes: