PDA

View Full Version : child safe stain

Dahl Troy Perry
10-21-2009, 9:05 PM
I am cuting pine blocks for my grandson to play with and want to color them what is child safe stain for this? I seem to think I read that you can soak is food coloring and water and that it was safe but can't find where I read this to know. What do you think.:confused:

Jon Crowley
10-22-2009, 8:54 AM
I read the food coloring method also... I'll have to check my books at home, I know it's in one of the toy building ones. I imagine it would be a lot like applying a regular water based dye. The colors are fitting for toys too.

If you'd like a food safe finish on top of that, go with mineral oil if you want a penetrating finish, and/or shellac for a film finish. Those are 100% safe.

I have read that *theoretically* any finish is food safe when completely cured, but it's not something I would test on my one year old.

Scott Holmes
10-23-2009, 12:17 AM
The problem with finishes not being SAFE was removed when they stoppe dusing LEAD as the metal drier.

Remember lead paint is bad the new products are fine. Salad Bowl finish is a marketing dream come true most of the "food Safe" finishes are the same product in a different can. some companies even use the same MSDS sheet for both products because they are identical.

Jim Beachler
10-24-2009, 12:07 PM
When using food coloring and water to stain with, you will need to put another finish on top. If you don't it will reactivate again when it get wet (think mouth drool) and get all over whoever and whatever it touches before drying again.

What I have done is color with diluted food coloring by mixing it with mineral oil or neutral danish oil. Once that dries it won't come off. You will need to experiment with the amount to put in to get the correct intensity of color.
This way it is a one step process.
Jim