PDA

View Full Version : Laser Tube Replacement

Steven Resnick
10-21-2009, 4:44 PM
It seems that my laser tube went out (over heating).
It is a Synrad 48 series Tube.
Does anyone know what it cost to repair this.
I spoke to Synrad and it could vary for $500 to thousandssssssssss:(
Just wundering what others have paid to have there's repaired or replaced.

Thanks
Steven

Dave Johnson29
10-21-2009, 6:11 PM
It seems that my laser tube went out (over heating).

Steven,

Are you sure the tube is out? What do you mean by over heating? If that tube over heated then a replacement will too.

The Synrad tubes are VERY robust so I would be doing some more fault finding before pulling it out.

We need more information to be able to offer suggestions.

Bruce Volden
10-21-2009, 7:45 PM
I've been through 3 tubes (Synrad) in the last 14+ yrs. on my 25W LMI's. The most I've paid is $2500 and the least I've spent is $1500. All I know is I needed them-NOW! Seems the "electronics" goes out-for what ever reason, but the "gas" (CO2) has never been suspect. :o Also I must be fair and tell you I bought re-conditioned tubes.

Bruce

Steven Resnick
10-21-2009, 8:55 PM
I spoke with Synrad tonight and they ask me to do some test before I send it out for repair.
When the tube get to hot for some reason it shut down.
1- The lens maybe dirty
2- A fan may be out.
3- Check the led lights on the tube when it stops working.

The problem that I'm having is it stops cutting after about 14 minutes.
I was cutting 1/8" birch. It almost seems the laser is losing power after it starts getting hot. And at that point it hasn't cut through the wood.

I hope this is a minor fix.

If I have to send the tube out for repair I will be down for about 4 weeks:mad::mad:

Is there a supplier that sells re-conditioned tube???

Steven

Dave Johnson29
10-21-2009, 9:03 PM
When the tube get to hot for some reason it shut down.
1- The lens maybe dirty
2- A fan may be out.
3- Check the led lights on the tube when it stops working.

Sounds like a good start checking mirrors and lens.

It could lose power as it gets hotter. But I cannot see the mirrors or lens causing it to shut down.

Can you measure the temperature of the outside of the tube as it is working to see if it is getting hotter?
Can you see all fans working?
Is it water or air cooled?

If it is shutting down from overheat, you need to find why it is overheating. At this point, I am still guessing the tube and electronics are OK.

Dan Hintz
10-22-2009, 6:38 AM
Defeat the safety interlocks and aim a fan at the tube... if it still shuts down due to overheating, something else is amiss.

Rob Bosworth
10-22-2009, 11:36 AM
What Laser in What Laser System? What year manufactured and what is the actual model number (or S/N ) of the Synrad laser?

Kim Vellore
10-22-2009, 12:50 PM
Yeah.. What laser because when I had contacted Synrad they refused to talk with me when I told them I had an Epilog. It is a deal with Epilog that you cannot buy or fix direct from Synrad you will have to go through Epilog.

Kim

Steven Resnick
10-23-2009, 2:35 PM
Well after 2 days of all the testing I've removed the Laser Tube and shipped it off to Synrad.
They said that they should have it repaired in about 3-4 weeks:mad:
Oh well :mad:, we had 10 good years of use out of the machine. All good things have to come to an end sometime. I guess I will have to farm out the engraved signs for the next month.
I will let everyone know when it comes back if that was the problem.

Dan Hintz
10-23-2009, 2:40 PM
Wow, 3-4 weeks?

Bill Cunningham
10-24-2009, 10:09 PM
With Epilog, I had mine in the shop, and installed in less than 24 hours from placing the order, and I'm in Canada, 3000 miles away from them.:)