PDA

View Full Version : Favorite "Little" Tool?

Wade Samuelson
09-24-2004, 12:53 PM
I just wanted to throw this out for comment: In making my workbench, I have been using a speed square (aka a rafter square) for marking and drawing lines. It's very handy and I can't imagine life without it. Cost: About $5.00.

I was wondering if anybody else has a favorite little gem that I should know about and acquire. Not jigs necessarily (unless there are an absolute "must have"), but just over-the-counter tools found at the local hardware store.

Michael Stafford
09-24-2004, 12:58 PM
Two of my favorite tools are the 6" and 12" hook rules that I bought from Lee Valley a few years ago. Use 'em every time I'm in the shop.

Donnie Raines
09-24-2004, 1:22 PM
My LN low angle, adjustable mouth block plane. used every project.

Waymon Campbell
09-24-2004, 1:30 PM
My remote control for the A/C in the shop. Its HOT here in Texas... :D

Dennis Peacock
09-24-2004, 2:05 PM
My remote control for the A/C in the shop. Its HOT here in Texas... :D

You tell'em Waymon!!!!!! I do the same thing here!!! :D

I would have to say.....my digital calipers.

Jim Becker
09-24-2004, 2:08 PM
My favorite "little tool" is my L-N low-angle, adjustable mouth block plane. Runners up include my "fractional" caliper, Starrett squares and my "cheater" safety glasses. (If you can't see small things, like measurements...)

scott spencer
09-24-2004, 2:33 PM
Mine would have to be my Grandad's Stanley 220 block plane, my 6" steel ruler, or my ear plugs....just couldn't work without them!

Oh yeah....my little pea brain comes in handy once in a while too!

George M. Perzel
09-24-2004, 2:36 PM
I have to go with any one of my 13 tape measures...... if I can ever find one.
gperzel

Gredo Goldenstein
09-24-2004, 4:04 PM
Electric pencil sharpener. Now...can someone tell me where I put that pencil? :p

Scott Parks
09-24-2004, 4:45 PM
My drafting tools. The drafting pencil can be sharpened to a vary accurate point. The compasses and dividers are handy for accurate marking and layout. (okay, maybe this is over-engineering)

Chris Padilla
09-24-2004, 5:01 PM
I guess I'd have to say my good old Combination Square.

Byron Trantham
09-24-2004, 5:06 PM
My 6" yellow Stanley combination square! :D

Chris Padilla
09-24-2004, 5:08 PM
Mine is 12".... :D :D :D

Keith Christopher
09-24-2004, 5:12 PM
I love my 4" square from L-N, worth every penny of the 69.00$ but I'm really warming up to my new LN #66.

True woodsmiths here, I notice no one said anything about a power tool. :)

Chris Padilla
09-24-2004, 5:16 PM
Well, I don't think I have any "little" power tools...does a Dremel count??? ;)

Carole Valentine
09-24-2004, 5:18 PM
Toss up between my 4" and 6" engineers squares, my 12" Starrett and my Veritas Saddle Square. Then I suppose it would be my cabinet scrapers and my low angle plane. Shoot, I love them all!

Gary Sutherland
09-24-2004, 5:33 PM
My pencil, although the one I have makes a lot of mistakes.

Gary

Jamie Buxton
09-24-2004, 7:00 PM
A decimal tape measure -- that is, one which gives me measurements like 17.89".

My whole shop works in decimal inches. I find decimals much easier to use than fractions. (Heck, American machinists started using decimal inches at least 150 years ago -- that's why we have 22-caliber rifles, not 7/32". :) )

The tape measure comes from Lee Valley. $4 for a ten-footer.

Chris Padilla
09-24-2004, 7:20 PM
LOL, when I visited Jamie I ended up going to my vehicle for a "normal" tape measure because I couldn't understand his! :p

Larry Browning
09-24-2004, 7:25 PM
I have a little 6" incra ruler/square that I use all the time. It has slots that a .05 pencil lead fits into. You just put the pencil into the right slot and slide the ruler along the edge of the board to get a really straight line down the board.

Chris Padilla
09-24-2004, 7:29 PM
Larry,

I have the 18" version of that but I really should pick up a smaller one. The 18" is good for wide boards and drafting stuff but the 6" would be easier to use. BTW, the pencil lead is 0.5 mm. :)

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-24-2004, 7:31 PM
I love my remote starter for my Oneida system. That thing is great no matter where I am in the shop..............just slide the blast gate for the application, and push the button. Someone mentioned the Electric Pencil Sharpener......................I never thought about it much, but I couldn't live without mine. (Am I the only one that has about 50 pencils in use at any one time.................and can only find one?!?!?!?!?!?) :rolleyes:

Mike Linne
09-24-2004, 7:34 PM
Vix (clones) bits. Save a bunch of time when mounting hinges and does a great job. <$4.99 from Lee Valley.

Chris Padilla
09-24-2004, 7:34 PM
At least you can fine one, Mr. Gerstenecker.... :o

Larry Browning
09-24-2004, 7:41 PM
Larry,

I have the 18" version of that but I really should pick up a smaller one. The 18" is good for wide boards and drafting stuff but the 6" would be easier to use. BTW, the pencil lead is 0.5 mm. :)
I knew there was a 5 in there somewhere :o

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-24-2004, 7:43 PM
Uh............Chris.............Mr. Gerstenecker is my DAD..............jeeze........just make me feel old........that's OK! :D

Oink Oink! :p

Chris Padilla
09-24-2004, 8:02 PM
Well, you're older than me....POPS! :eek: ;)

Jim Fancher
09-24-2004, 8:22 PM
My Dad's old hammer. I bought a really nice one a few years ago, but I use his 30+ year old hammer half expecting some of his talent to ooze out of it and into my project.

No such luck yet. I should have paid more attention to him when I was "helping" him. :D

Ellen Benkin
09-24-2004, 8:30 PM
Starrett 4" double square. Mechanical pencil and a GOOD "mars plastic" eraser. And I agree, I have dozens of pencils somewhere -- but never where I am.

Tim Morton
09-24-2004, 8:40 PM
I have a little 9.6 v screw gun from Black and Decker...I got it reconditioned for about 20 bucks 10 years ago..I reach for it over my makita every time....just fits my hand perfect and no matter how much I have to "MacGyver" it to keep it running ...i would hate to have to give it up.

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-24-2004, 8:45 PM
Chris..........Chris..........Chris............now that ones gonna COST ya next year! :eek:

What ever happened to RESPECT your ELDERS anyway? :D

Behave Junior..............don't MAKE me come out there! :p

Kids...........................SHEESH! :o

Joe Mioux
09-24-2004, 8:56 PM
my single blade pocket knife. The only time I don't have it on me is when I am asleep. Other than that my combination square, which I dropped and broke the other day.

JayStPeter
09-24-2004, 10:15 PM
I (Am I the only one that has about 50 pencils in use at any one time.................and can only find one?!?!?!?!?!?) :rolleyes:

Nope, bought a 48 pack from Staples last year. I was down to around 5 before I figured out where my wife liked to "put them away". :rolleyes:

My favorite little tool is actually the Festool vac hose I bought for my circular saw. I don't have the full Festool vac, so I was kind of bitter that I had to buy the hose to plug the saw into DC. But, it turns out it also fits every other tool I use with my vac. So, I was able to get rid of all the taped together adapters I was using. It allowed me to put the hose that came with my old Craftsman vac up in the garage with the vac for cleaning cars.

Jay

Greg Tatum
09-24-2004, 11:52 PM
My favorite tool has become my laptop computer....I can read SMC posts, check out WWing websites, shop at Lee Valley and watch my Woodworking at Home DVDs all from the comfort of my shop....It allows me to get instant answers to WWing questions, view plans and other people's work....YUP, laptop baby is my favorite tool now.

Greg

Brad Schmid
09-24-2004, 11:56 PM
A set of brass set up bars up to 1/2" for setting depth on the table saw and router table, gripper push block, dial indicator w/ magnetic base, and magnetic featherboards. Not too expensive, but they make certain tasks easier and safer.
Cheers,
Brad

Ernie Hobbs
09-25-2004, 12:37 AM
My favorite little tool is an Austrian draw knife I got from Lee Valley a while back. As long as it is good and sharp, it is usually faster than power tools. I try to use on every project I can.

Ken Salisbury
09-25-2004, 8:06 AM
Absolutely no question about it -- razor sharp pocket knife ('Case' of course)