PDA

View Full Version : Laser an exact spot on with Rotary Attachment

Chuck Patterson
10-21-2009, 4:25 PM
I have pressure regulators that needs engraved in an EXACT position mandated by the Fire Department. It fits in the rotary attachment. I can not figure out how to position the art within the program so that it hits exactly where they want it.

I looked in the owners manual on page 6-15/16 and it instructs how to determine graphic placement for Position X. How do I determine an exact placement for Position Y? The Display shows it in Degree's and the manual says to ignore it.

Some of you may say do not use the attachment, but that option is not a choice for this job.

Using a ULS M300 with Rotary Attachment.

Dan Hintz
10-21-2009, 4:54 PM
I'll use some fake numbers so you can see what's involved. Let's assume your regulator is 3.6" in diameter, which will make your drawing "paper" 3.6" in the Y-axis. A circle is 360 degrees, so every degree on the regulator is equal to 3.6/360 = 0.01". If the center of the text needs to be 45 degrees off of the center position, the center of the text should be 0.01*45 = 0.45" from the center of the page (up or down will depend on if that 45 degrees is clockwise or counterclockwise).

Placement on the X-axis will depend upon how long the regulator is between the two rotary chucks, but that can be easily measured.

Chuck Patterson
10-21-2009, 4:54 PM
Never mind figured it out.

Chuck Patterson
10-21-2009, 4:58 PM
Dan,

That helps. Better than what I had been doing....trial and error. Running the job with the door open to see where art was going to land and adjusting accordingly.

Thank you for the math lesson.

Chuck

Mike Mackenzie
10-21-2009, 10:06 PM
Chuck / Dan

Here is our formula.

Formula to pinpoint an exact area on the rotary
1) Place rotary inside laser machine and plug it in
2) Turn machine on and wait for it to home
3) Place object in rotary
4) Press the X-Y button
5) Using the red dot pointer and the up and down motion control keys, put red dot in the place you want to
place your engraving
6) Look at the display and write down the rotational degrees
7) Use that number in the following formula
8) "R divided by 360 = X" (X is going to be a number less than 1, R is the rotational degrees on the laser
display.
8) Enter the rotary diameter into the ULS driver to get new page height
9) Use the new page height in the following formula
10) "X multiplied by H = Y" (H is the new page height, Y is the Y-Axis coordinate)
11) The Y-Axis coordinate is what you will use in Corel locate your graphic
(Rotational Degress / 360) X Page Height = Y-Axis Guideline

Anthony Scira
10-21-2009, 10:15 PM
Did you use center to center option. Does ULS have that ?

I LOVE center to center !