PDA

View Full Version : Cheap way to remove and install bearings?

Jason White
10-21-2009, 4:00 PM
Need a way to remove and replace bearings for the wheels on my old JET 14" bandsaw.

What cheapo tools can I use for this?

Jason

Brian Runau
10-21-2009, 4:07 PM
look for a tool called a bearing puller. Industrial supply houses should have them, the have a threaded rod in the center with three claws that grip the far side of the bearing. Rod goes on the shaft end and you turn with a wrench. Ideally for installation you want to use an arbor press which most people don't have. Avoid hammering on the bearing. One way is to warm up the bearing so it increses in size and then get it on the shaft before it cools, but if you have rubber seals this is not a great idea you can do this with a metal shielded bearing.

Brian

Jason White
10-21-2009, 4:32 PM
Can I install it by using a block of wood and a hammer? I think I've read before where people do this.

Jason

look for a tool called a bearing puller. Industrial supply houses should have them, the have a threaded rod in the center with three claws that grip the far side of the bearing. Rod goes on the shaft end and you turn with a wrench. Ideally for installation you want to use an arbor press which most people don't have. Avoid hammering on the bearing. One way is to warm up the bearing so it increses in size and then get it on the shaft before it cools, but if you have rubber seals this is not a great idea you can do this with a metal shielded bearing.

Brian

Don Jarvie
10-21-2009, 4:47 PM
The heating method works well. Put them in the oven at 250 for 30 minutes. They will be hot but slide right on.

If you use the hammer method make sure the bearing is supported so you don't risk smashing the inner half of the bearing

Fred Belknap
10-21-2009, 10:47 PM
I have used a socket from a rachet set and make sure it fits on the inner race. Tap it gently with a hammer.

Dave Lehnert
10-21-2009, 11:26 PM
Guess this is more a question than an answer but would a bearing house offer a service to do the replacing?

Denny Rice
10-22-2009, 6:01 AM
Find a good Auto Parts store locally that has a machine shop also. A good machine shop can remove the old bearing and install your new one probably within a day or so. Just as an example most NAPA stores have machine shops in them...

Alex Shanku
10-22-2009, 6:40 AM
Find a good Auto Parts store locally that has a machine shop also. A good machine shop can remove the old bearing and install your new one probably within a day or so. Just as an example most NAPA stores have machine shops in them...

I dont trust very many people when it comes to using a multi-ton press and my, sometimes, irreplaceable parts.

Ive repaired many motors and old machinery and never had the need for anything more that a few blocks of wood, a hammer, some sockets and a lightbulb for heating the bearing prior to installation. A 3-jaw bearing puller for $30 from sears is one of the best investments anybody who works on their own machinery will make.

Denny Rice
10-22-2009, 6:55 AM
I dont trust very many people when it comes to using a multi-ton press and my, sometimes, irreplaceable parts.

Ive repaired many motors and old machinery and never had the need for anything more that a few blocks of wood, a hammer, some sockets and a lightbulb for heating the bearing prior to installation. A 3-jaw bearing puller for $30 from sears is one of the best investments anybody who works on their own machinery will make.

Alex,

don't take this the wrong way but it sounds like Jason doesn't have a lot of experience in the removal and replacement of the bearings in his saw. I have worked around machinery all my life and I have seen a lot of people that will try just to save a couple of bucks and by the time the job is finished and they have destroyed a couple of sets of bearings, they could of paid to let the machine shop install them. Most machine shops have quality men working in them that have been doing their job for a long time( and the specialized tools needed for a certain job). If you have any doubt ask the machinist how long hes been in the industry and ask the machine shop what their policy is if the store was to screw something up. These men are use to dealing with people that build racing engines that cost 1000's to build I think most of them wont have a problem with a couple of bearings and a press.JMHO

Denny Rice
10-22-2009, 7:00 AM
Jason,

Where I live there are two Speed Shops that specialize in race cars. Both of these speed shops have a very high quality machine shops too. If you decide to try this on your own expect to pay 30-50 dollars for a good bearing puller and then you will probably need someway to press new the bearing on. There is a variety of ways to do this just be careful.

Rod Sheridan
10-22-2009, 8:19 AM
I presume that the bearings are inside the wheels?

If so, use a socket that's the same size as the outer race to push on the bearing.

Use a short piece of pipe with an inside diameter slightly larger than the outside diameter of the bearing.

Put a piece of threaded rod through the assembly with a couple of flat washers and nuts.

Gently tighten the nuts to push the bearing out of the wheel and into the piece of pipe.

Reverse the assembly to press the bearings back in.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. Do not strike the bearings, or push on the dust seals or inner race unless you want to purchase more bearings.