PDA

View Full Version : Kreg K4 vs R3? Best for budget...

Josh Reet
10-21-2009, 3:59 PM
This is a silly decision I am sure, but for some reason I am brainlocked over getting the Kreg R3 ($40) or the K4 ($100). Not really interested in spending the $140 for the K3 at this point. I've already got some face clamps and the "clamp on opposite side" thing isn't super important to me.

I'd mostly be using it for quick construction of home cabinets, baby room stuff, etc. Nothing super high end and nothing where I would be stressed about the pocket holes. I anticipate using it a decent amount, but I'm not a production guy by any means.

Is the bench mounting, integral clamp, and dust collection of the K4 worth the extra $60 over the non-mounting R3?

**EDIT** What about the ability to use the newer micro guide? Do people find that useful?

Scott Hildenbrand
10-21-2009, 4:44 PM
I picked up the K3, but when I got it I had money to burn. At this point, I'd have gone with the R3.

Question on if the bench mount will be of use depends on how much and what kind of pockets you'll be doing most often.

Dust collection? A dust pan and broom would be just as well.

The K4 has holes for three separate drilling areas, so if you do wider material it's spaced out to do that without moving. But then two holes closer to center wouldn't harm anything either, so the R3 is fine there.

IMO, my choice would be the R3.. IF I did pocket holes enough to warrant more, I'd opt for a full fledged pocket hole machine. But, I didn't have that much money to burn then.. ;)

Josh Reet
10-21-2009, 4:51 PM
Good points Scott, thanks.

I should have mentioned that the only thing that seems like it might be a wildcard is the ability to use Kreg's micro drill guide in the future should I want to. The R3 doesn't help there as you need the K3/4 to use it.

Tim Null
10-21-2009, 5:03 PM
I have the K3 Master. I went through the same questions as you. Here is what I found out after buying the K3:

-I made a bench mount that fits into my front vise. I can set it in my vise and be ready to go and remove it within seconds.

-I am using pocket screws more now.

-It creates a lot of dust. The collection port is very cool and keeps you from having to empty/blow out the dust after a couple of holes are drilled.

-micro jig works well with thinner material. Smaller holes.

If money is an issue, you can certainly do the job with the less expensive version. Just not as easily or quickly.

Tim

Chuck Isaacson
10-21-2009, 11:27 PM
I have the K3 and love it. It is excellent for cabinets. You may say "why do I need the DC attachment?", because it is nice. I know that you said that you are on a budget, but if you don't need it right away, I would wait till you have the cash for the K3. I have used every piece in mine when building my cabinets for the shop. It is nice to have the clamp that came with it also. If you need it now, I would go with the K4.

CHuck

Harold Shay
10-22-2009, 12:54 AM
+ 1 for the k3 master. I love the dc. It is not a matter of sweeping but the mess is not all over the bench. :D

Harold

Prashun Patel
10-22-2009, 8:51 AM
The R3 is a great value - especially if you have face clamps.
I'd get that if you don't want the other bells and whistles - and they are just bells and whistles.

The DC is nice, and the bench mount is nice. But for me, taking the jig to the piece is just more convenient. It's not like the thing generates a lot of DUST, it just makes a lot of chips. They're easily sweeped.

Randal Stevenson
10-22-2009, 10:10 AM
If you take it with you and work outside, then dust collection is less of an issue. To me, the biggest difference between the K3 and the K4 is the handles location. The K3 it is toward you, where the K4, it tends to be on the wrong side of large panels.

Paul Steiner
10-22-2009, 11:02 AM
+1 for the K3 Master, skeptical at first but I use it everywhere for everything. Worth the price.