PDA

View Full Version : On the verge of my first big purchase...

Mark Kohler
10-21-2009, 3:32 PM
So, I started out turning about 3 months ago. Had been wanting to get into it for a while, came across a cheapo mastercraft tube lathe for $75, bought it, got some chisels from Lee Valley, and have turned a few things, all from firewood (mallet, candle holders, bowl, baby rattle, twig holder, flower vase, and most recently a pepper mill). Originally I just wanted to turn bowls but the lathe didn't handle it well.

Just as my projects started to surpass the limits of my lathe I bent the spindle drive so I am being forced into a purchase which is good in a way. I've been actively poking around kijiji and CL but can't seem to find anything local here in eastern Canada. I started looking into new lathes and here I am in a dilemma.

I've narrowed my sights on the Nova 162444, seems to get good reviews and is a great bang for the buck. Now..... where to purchase it from...

Woodcraft has it on for $899. With tax, duty, shipping, and storage in Calais Maine, it comes to around $1230 Canadian.

KMS Tools, which is Canadian has it on for $999. With tax, and shipping ($250!!!) it comes to $1400. The kicker with this deal is that I can get it with the outrigger tool rest and Supernova 2 chuck free of charge.

Soooo, I find myself going back and forth on the issue. One minute I'm ready to order, the next I think maybe it's too much too early and I should wait for a decent used lathe. When I comes down to it I'm not really a patient guy. I just need a little push.

So is it worth it to pay the extra $170 for the outrigger and chuck which would carry a purchase price of around $430? Should I try and swap the outrigger for a bed extension? Should I stop writing and post this ridiculous long first post?

-Mark

alex carey
10-21-2009, 3:47 PM
id say go for the outrigger and chuck. $170 is a pretty good deal on that and that lathe is a great lathe.

Go For It!

Steve Kubien
10-21-2009, 4:46 PM
I'm with Alex. In fact, if I was having this shipped across the country, I would ALSO include the bed extention. If you do it later, the freight alone will be prohibitive. It would be handy when doing peppermills (and obviously table legs and such).

Radek Kowalski
10-21-2009, 5:13 PM
I agree with Steve and Alex. The chuck itself costs close to that price. So you end up with a free outrigger. Go for it.

Radek

Mark Hubl
10-21-2009, 5:13 PM
id say go for the outrigger and chuck. $170 is a pretty good deal on that and that lathe is a great lathe.

Go For It!

+1 here. That is a good deal and that is a decent chuck, don't forget the insert if it is not included.

I just pulled the trigger on the woodcraft deal and picked a sn2 with it. I am loving the new lathe. I also see the outrigger in my future.

Steve Schlumpf
10-21-2009, 6:42 PM
Mark - Welcome to the Creek!

I agree with Alex, Steve, Radek and Mark - sounds like it would be a smart move to get everything at one time and be done with it. The outrigger and chuck would be a huge savings and as Mark stated - make sure you get the adapter/insert for the included chuck.

I look forward to seeing photos of your new lathe!

Also - when you have time - post some photos of your work! We love photos!!!

David E Keller
10-21-2009, 7:20 PM
Agree with the others... Don't have any first hand experience with the lathe but I've never regretted buying a well made tool or having too many bells and whistles. If you can swing it, get the whole thing including the bed extension. Let us know how it turns out(intended) and post some pics of your stuff

Skip Spaulding
10-21-2009, 7:26 PM
I have 1624 with outrigger, I use it on most large bowls. It is real nice to rotate the head stock and not have to work over the bed a lot of times. I turned 17"x22" burl which could not have done over bed.

Mark Kohler
10-21-2009, 8:33 PM
+1 here. That is a good deal and that is a decent chuck, don't forget the insert if it is not included.

I just pulled the trigger on the woodcraft deal and picked a sn2 with it. I am loving the new lathe. I also see the outrigger in my future.

Right right. Can't forget about the insert. I'll see if they will throw in an additional insert for the G3 I already have. I think the 1624 is 1-1/4 X 8 TPI.

I'll have to be sure to get the one capable of reverse turning. How does that work? A locking pin or screw?

Mark Kohler
10-21-2009, 8:36 PM
I agree with Steve and Alex. The chuck itself costs close to that price. So you end up with a free outrigger. Go for it.

Radek

It's too bad I don't live in BC. It would be an even better deal without the $250 shipping cost.

Bernie Weishapl
10-21-2009, 9:00 PM
I have to agree with the others. You'll end up with a free outrigger.

Mark Hubl
10-21-2009, 9:04 PM
Yep. That is the size. You need the "L" version of the 1 1/4" insert. Works good with the G3's as well. Check out the Teknatool website for the exact number. There is a groove on the spindle that a grub screw seats to lock the chuck on spindle. I didn't use the grub screws that lock the insert into the chuck on my mini, but with the new lathe I put them in all three of my chucks (use the red fiber disks to protect the threads). Also, get the teknatool inserts. My woodcraft was out of stock for several weeks so I picked up a Woodriver insert for $6. Although the threads fit the Nova chucks is didn't seat squarely and produced more than 10 thousands runout. No can do! I ordered my inserts from one of the catalog outfits and had them in a couple of days (better price and no TAX).

I got mine together with minimal help from my wife, but you probably want some extra strength around when putting the lathe on the legs. Pretty much a piece of cake. Should be spinning in under 2 hours.

Also, on my lathe the locknuts that hold the motor in place are not very functional. I replaced them with some others from my borg. No biggy but I didn't want to keep tightening them. They will loosen with speed changes because of the movement of the motor.

Another handy bit is the teknatool spanner. Just a narrow wrench, but it makes life a little easier taking the chuck on and off. Should come with the chuck or the lathe.

And another bit I quickly picked up was the spindle handle. I am really used to slowing things down with the spindle handle on the mini. Missed it on the new piece. Don't know why that's not thrown in as well.

There is a learning curve moving to the different lathe. I am still on it, but overall everything is working out well.

Have fun.

Mark Kohler
10-24-2009, 8:11 AM
Ordered and on it's way.

Nova 162444
Outrigger
Extension Bed
Supernova 2 Chuck with insert
insert for my G3

These will be the slowest 10 business of my life. Can't wait to get it set up.

For anyone in Canada, KMS Tools has a great deal on the 1624.

Jeff Nicol
10-24-2009, 8:31 AM
Mark, When buying a new tool it is some of the funest days a tool junkie can have! I have been getting some small tools to fill in where things are missing and even the little ones get the heart pumping! Your lathe will be in your hands before you know it and the fun will begin! Great lathe and you will have many hours of pure joy on it!

Keep us posted!!!

Jeff