PDA

View Full Version : Are any Creekers going to

Don Farr
09-24-2004, 12:13 PM
The turning symposium in Helen Georgia next weekend? It is put on by the Ga. woodturners assc. and will be held at Unicoi state park. Oct. 1st and 2nd.

Dennis Peacock
09-24-2004, 12:38 PM
The turning symposium in Helen Georgia next weekend? It is put on by the Ga. woodturners assc. and will be held at Unicoi state park. Oct. 1st and 2nd.

If I hadda knowed about it 'fore now....I would have made plans to be there. The inlaws ain't too far from you so I could have dropped the LOML and kids off there and then ventured on to your place and the symposium. I guess you'll have to keep me in the loop for next year's event...just let me know as far in advance as you can....some of my planning for normal activities is as far back as 2 months prior!!! :eek: :D

Michael Stafford
09-24-2004, 12:48 PM
Don, I know 2 Georgia woodturners, Don Russell and Troy Bledsoe, both very fine fellows who I have had the pleasure of taking turning classes from. If you see'um tell 'em I said hello. I will be seeing them myself 3 weeks from now when I am taking another course.

Roger Fitzsimonds
09-24-2004, 12:50 PM
I would like to go but the $100.00 entry fee is to steep for me. I went to the symposium in Gainesville because the Chattahoochi turners helped by working there. That was not offered at this one. I will announce the Gainesville symposium when it comes around again.

Roger

Dennis Peacock
09-24-2004, 12:54 PM
I would like to go but the $100.00 entry fee is to steep for me. I went to the symposium in Gainesville because the Chattahoochi turners helped by working there. That was not offered at this one. I will announce the Gainesville symposium when it comes around again.

Roger
$100 Entry fee.!!!!!! Nope....don't let me know next year!!!! ;)

Don Farr
09-24-2004, 5:47 PM
I think it was more like a $140.00 for me and the LOML. Not sure about that, I will have to check my check book register. Oh well I was hoping to see some of you guys. At least I'm not paying airfair and/or gas to PA. or AR. That and room and board would have cost me ten times that. :D

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-24-2004, 6:28 PM
You have a point there Don......but then again, I think you would have a GREAT time at one of the BBQ's. My Wife and I had a simply WONDERFUL time at Terry's. Great folks...............and the FOOD...............that itself is worth the trip. We would love to see you in Arkansas next year...........and the best part is you have PLENTY of time to plan the trip! Have a good time at the Symposium Don......................I'll bet that will be a great experience as well!

Chris Padilla
09-24-2004, 7:33 PM
Yeah, and you missed meeting a "transported Coloradoan to California" in Arkansas...of all places! :D :D

Harvey Meyer
09-24-2004, 8:15 PM
I'm a member of the GAW and will be at the syposium - I'll look for ya.
Harvey

Jim Becker
09-24-2004, 9:35 PM
$100 Entry fee.!!!!!!
Well...these multi-day educational events take money to put on. The demonstrators/instructors generally are paid and there is a cost for the facilities. The fee for the three-day AAW national symposium was about $275 and I sincerely believe I got much more than twice my money's worth in new knowlege/techniques/things to think about. Not to mention rubbing elbows/conversing with people who are icons in turning and seeing the wonderful work of hundreds of turners in the Instant Gallery. But I can understand that fees are sometimes problematic...there is often a tradeoff between that and new tools/wood/etc. Many of these events do allow public access to the Instant Gallery and if so, if you are in the area, try to spend some time there looking, dooling and learning.

Don Farr
09-25-2004, 9:43 AM
I'm a member of the GAW and will be at the syposium - I'll look for ya.
Harvey
Great Harvey, I will see you there. I will PM you with a question.