PDA

View Full Version : Help/info on a stanley 951 tool chest

mark kosse
10-21-2009, 1:57 PM
Howdy,

I have been searching the internet for a loooong time looking for info on a Stanley No. 951 roll up tool chest. I found a 1934 catalog and it shows the chest of the time more like tool "boxes", not with the roll up door mine has. Can anyone help me with more info on this chest? Time period, value? It'll never be sold, unless my kids sell it, but it's nice to know what it MAY be worth.

TIA, Mark

jerry nazard
10-21-2009, 2:12 PM
Mark,

Haven't a clue what it is worth, but I sure would like to see a few more photos. That is a beautiful chest!

Thanks! -Jerry

Jim Koepke
10-21-2009, 2:40 PM
It looks like an 850 or 851.

They changed to a roll up front in 1939 according to John Walter's book.

850 came originally with 48-50 tools. Worth $250 - $500 without tools.

851 came originally with 33-35 tools. Worth $200 - $400 without tools.

jim

mark kosse
10-22-2009, 9:02 AM
Jerry, I wish I could post more pics but the site here won't let me. It says they were already posted.

Jim, It's a 29 tool No. 951. I have the original packing list that lists all the tools, the original Joy of Accomplishment booklet and all the original tools except the pliers. Most of the tools look unused, even the chisels. Even 60% of the original water adhesive Stanley logo remains. Only the 12oz. hammer, com square hand planes, saw and level show use.

For more pics I guess you have to search my name and find the post new guy with pics.

Jim Koepke
10-22-2009, 1:23 PM
Jerry, I wish I could post more pics but the site here won't let me. It says they were already posted.

Jim, It's a 29 tool No. 951. I have the original packing list that lists all the tools, the original Joy of Accomplishment booklet and all the original tools except the pliers. Most of the tools look unused, even the chisels. Even 60% of the original water adhesive Stanley logo remains. Only the 12oz. hammer, com square hand planes, saw and level show use.

For more pics I guess you have to search my name and find the post new guy with pics.

Sometimes I have been able to repost a picture by changing the name or making a copy with a new name. Also changing the file type can help, i.e. jpeg to .png, ymmv.

The John Walter book does not mention a 951. That is not the first thing made by Stanley that did not get included.

Since you have not posted a whole lot, it was easy to just click on your name and then select "show all posts." Here is the thread with the pictures:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=113292

jim

jerry nazard
10-22-2009, 10:22 PM
Mark,

I followed the link to your previous post. Nice pix!

Jim,

Thanks for the link!

-Jerry

mark kosse
10-23-2009, 9:14 AM
Thanks Jim, What is the John Walter book? I'll Google it.

Thanks Jerry, It's a beautiful thing in my opinion. When I first got it from a friend my wife asked where I was going to put it and I replied "In the den".

I actually won that one.

mark kosse
10-23-2009, 9:22 AM
Wow, I googled John Walter. The book cost more than I paid for the whole set. Since my chest isn't in it I guess I won't be buying it anytime soon.

Jim, Does it give an idea of the price of one with tools? Anyone have a guess or know where I could go to find out?

TIA!

Jim Koepke
10-23-2009, 2:01 PM
The more tools, the higher the value listed. Average price listed for the one with 33-35 tools (#851) is $250-$600.

As far as the book goes, look at all the pictures of the book you see and burn it into your mind. Look at old second hand book stores and thrift stores like Goodwill and yard sales. Of course, you will spot every light beige colored book spine right off. It is about 2 inches thick and 8-1/2 inches tall.

I got lucky here on the Creek in the Classifieds and bought a copy for $100 plus shipping.

I have heard a few different stories, but none of them make it seem like a third edition is going to be published anytime soon.

That said, it is my luck that it will be announced next Monday.

jim

Lee Arent
12-05-2009, 10:32 AM
I have the same model 951 tool chest. It was given to me by an uncle in North Carolina about 20 years ago. He picked it up at an auction somewhere. He was a machinist by trade and did not like wood working because the tolerances were not tight enough for him. Of the 29 tools listed in the packing list it still has over 20 original unused pieces in the inventory.

I did a Google search trying to find out its value but found nothing but this forum. I can tell you this, mine came with a Stanley pocket size tool catalog dated 1950 that has the same picture as shown on the packing list and notes a retail price of $114.00 new. Back in 1950 that was a LOT of money.