PDA

View Full Version : Universal or Epilog

antonio milla 2004
10-21-2009, 1:49 PM
I am trying to make up my mind between the Universal VLS3.50 and the Epilog Mini 24. Does anybody have any comments on either? How do I chooseĦ? Please help.

Scott Shepherd
10-21-2009, 2:12 PM
The people that own Epilog will say "Epilog", the people that have Universal's will say "Universal". Both have good quality machines and both companies have excellent tech support. If either breaks, you'll have parts the next day. If you have problems with either, their tech support will help you figure it out.

There isn't much difference between the two companies on service or support. It probably comes down to pricing and features. Find the one that does the things you'll be doing to your satisfaction and write the check!

John Noell
10-21-2009, 2:54 PM
Chevy!!! NO, FORD!! No, Chevy!! I say FORD!!!! Chevy!!! NO, FORD!! No, Chevy!! I say FORD!!!! Chevy!!! NO, FORD!! No, Chevy!! I say FORD!!!! Chevy!!! NO, FORD!! No, Chevy!! I say FORD!!!!

Mark Ross
10-21-2009, 4:38 PM
Isn't universal coming out with software that basically does what Photograv does and giving it away free to their customers? That would put them slightly ahead in the software department. After just having spent about 7 hours cleaning, releveling and realigning an Epilog 36EXT, my vote would be Epilog only because the machine we have is about 3 years old and nobody ever did any preventative maintenance on it and now it is as good as new, cutting like it did (laser was almost not cutting...hmmm 3 years of plexiglass dust...what are the odds..)

Dan Hintz
10-21-2009, 4:56 PM
Isn't universal coming out with software that basically does what Photograv does and giving it away free to their customers?
It's already out, though I do not know if they are continuing to give it away... I know they gave it away to everyone who purchased within the last year.

Dave Russell Smith
10-21-2009, 6:10 PM
Chevy!!! NO, FORD!! No, Chevy!! I say FORD!!!! Chevy!!! NO, FORD!! No, Chevy!! I say FORD!!!! Chevy!!! NO, FORD!! No, Chevy!! I say FORD!!!! Chevy!!! NO, FORD!! No, Chevy!! I say FORD!!!!
Sorry but I say Nissan :cool:

Scott Shepherd
10-21-2009, 6:18 PM
Isn't universal coming out with software that basically does what Photograv does and giving it away free to their customers?

Not free to new buyers. It's $200 or $300, I can't recall which one I heard mentioned. Also, it's a long way from being photograv at this point. It's very very good, don't get me wrong, but it has no wood filter and no granite filter and when I asked about the release date for those, I was told the end of 2010, maybe.

David Fairfield
10-21-2009, 6:31 PM
Now that I have a few years experience, I'd be really curious to play with some of the other machines and compare results. One of the reasons why I chose the Epilog was the engraving samples they sent me. I compared to the others under a magnifying glass and they appeared to be a little bit finer and sharper. Based on my experience with the Epilog, I think it would be tough to beat the engraving quality.

Dave

John Noell
10-21-2009, 7:10 PM
Sorry but I say Nissan :cool:NO NO! Toyota!

Scott Shepherd
10-21-2009, 8:13 PM
Based on my experience with the Epilog, I think it would be tough to beat the engraving quality.

Dave

You need to see the High Definition Optics on the ULS. I have the Aztec calendar on a piece that's 1 1/4" in diameter. The detail is so fine you have to view it with a magnifying glass. I also have a anodized aluminum calendar and the fonts are 3 point fonts, razor sharp. It does work on photos that cannot be compared to anything I've seen on ANY other make.

I don't own it, I've just see a lot of the demos and have a handful of them on my desk. The beam diameter is less than .001", so you can imagine the level of detail you can achieve.

Next time you're at a trade show, check it out, it's impressive. Not sure how practical it is, but it's impressive.

Dan Hintz
10-21-2009, 8:49 PM
You need to see the High Definition Optics on the ULS. I have the Aztec calendar on a piece that's 1 1/4" in diameter. The detail is so fine you have to view it with a magnifying glass. I also have a anodized aluminum calendar and the fonts are 3 point fonts, razor sharp. It does work on photos that cannot be compared to anything I've seen on ANY other make.

I don't own it, I've just see a lot of the demos and have a handful of them on my desk. The beam diameter is less than .001", so you can imagine the level of detail you can achieve.

Next time you're at a trade show, check it out, it's impressive. Not sure how practical it is, but it's impressive.
Been considering getting this, but I haven't been able to fully justify the cost (yet)... one of my repeat customers would be very happy if I could give him that kind of detail, but he's already quite satisfied with what I'm able to do with the 2" lens (something in the area of 6-7 point type with tuning enabled). If production ramps up, I may be able to justify it at that point.

Tom Gooch
10-21-2009, 9:14 PM
This question is almost as persistent as the chicken and egg question. I studied both these machines thoroughly about a year ago---posed the same question to myself and others---and arrived at the conclusion that they are essentially equal. Sure there are a couple of areas where one exceeds the other and vice versa, but they are extremely minor.

I suggest you spend time with each machine and the respective sales rep. You'll get an idea which your most comforatable with---both machine and rep. AS much as it shouldn't come to this...for me anyway it pretty much came down to a "gut feel".

That said, I liked my rep, but have heard nearly nothing from him since the sale. Then again my machine has been flawless and so I hven't had any need to talk with him officially. From my observation of others experiences, IF I ever need tech support, I'm confident it will be prompt and efficient.

AFTER I bought, I observed that I think Universal has the better rotary attachment...so if you plan do do a lot of round work, that might impact your decision.

donald bugansky
10-22-2009, 12:32 AM
I spent the last year looking at all 3. They are very close and in the end I went with the Trotec because I felt that it was really built well. Just take a look at their rotary device...it alone is built like a tank

Either way, everyone will have their favorite....in the end it comes down to what you justify in your head to what is important. I don't think you can go wrong with either unit.

Last thought, as of a month ago, Epilog did not have job control software which the other 2 did. I felt (in my very limited experience) that the job control software would be important down the road.

Just my thoughts and congrats on your upcoming decision.

Bugs

antonio milla 2004
10-24-2009, 1:38 AM
Thanks eveybody! I think at the end I have come a sound conclusion (by the way, thank you Tom) I should start questioning the reps. They should answer all of my technical questions. Should any of them fail to answer, fair and square, I should be able to make up my mind. I think both machines run very well, that is, in principle the reason for my dilemma. I do, however, thank you all for your kind responses and shall keep you posted on my final decision.

Scott Shepherd
10-24-2009, 8:16 AM
Anthony, also keep in mind that the rep's are always the most knowledgeable about the machines. They do a lot of demos, and a lot of the very same demo over and over, but many reps are not power users of the systems so they don't know the finer points.

Make them run actual samples you bring or have. Do not base your decisions on how well they run the demo. Make them all run your work and then you'll have a more accurate way to judge that reflects the real world you'll be living in.

Dan Hintz
10-24-2009, 10:13 AM
keep in mind that the rep's are not always the most knowledgeable about the machines.

Scott, fixed that quote for ya...

Scott Shepherd
10-25-2009, 9:22 AM
Oh, good catch Dan! NOT, NOT, NOT is what should have been in there! Brain was moving faster than my fingers, I guess, as hard to believe as that may be :)