PDA

View Full Version : old delta lathe

John Beck
10-21-2009, 1:48 PM
No reply from Timken tech service re oil seal for my leaky delta 46-230. Is there a solution to this problem? Have to refill before every use as it leaks whether or not it is running.

curtis rosche
10-21-2009, 1:51 PM
you could get the headstock bored out and put in new bearings

Nick Hoffman
10-21-2009, 2:00 PM
I have seen places that make stock oil seals, you might try calling your local bearing supply to see if they can help you.

Paul Atkins
10-21-2009, 2:03 PM
Are these ball bearings? Is there a number on the bearing itself? I know Delta had special bearings sometimes. All the wood lathes I have except the one with bronze bushings use grease and the speed is no different for yours I'd expect. How are these oiled? Hope these are not too many questions.

Paul Atkins
10-21-2009, 2:56 PM
OK I read your previous thread and figured out most of my questions. I never knew Delta had a roller bearing lathe. I wish my 1460 had them. I wonder if you could machine a uhmw seal to keep the oil in, or punch a piece of urethane the right size. On my big lathe that has bushings, I have a piece of felt stuck on the spindle next to the bushing. It is a constant loss oiling system and still leaks, but the oil doesn't get thrown at the piece. There just is two stripes on my wall.

Ray Binnicker
10-21-2009, 7:21 PM
John,
I have an old headstock for an old Delta lathe. It is in pieces. I don't forsee ever needing it for anything. I feel sure the the seals/bearings are in good shape. You can have it for the cost of shipping.
Ray Binnicker

mickey cassiba
10-21-2009, 7:56 PM
I only got to mess around with one of these in the recon shop...and parts are hard to come by. I'm thinking you may be in for a custom job, if the parts from Ray's lathe won't work. At the gear shop, we would bore, and upsize the bearing and seal. I have the print and part list for this model if you need it, but a lot of the parts are listed an "not available", and I could not x-reference the bearings...my bearing guru is currently vacationing. When he gets back I may be able to do some good.
Good luck.
Mickey