PDA

View Full Version : Pre finished plywood amazing stuff

tyler mckenzie
10-21-2009, 1:17 PM
I am really happy with the pre finished plywood, even with solid wood edging (the secret is to finish with a block plane). This is the first time I've used it, I am going this route in the future it will save me time, and money. My wood dealer imports this ply from a mill in Washington, great plywood, didn't hear one 'pop' when screwing my boxes together. If interest some pictures here http://tealandgold.blogspot.com/

tyler

sean m. titmas
10-21-2009, 1:41 PM
I really like using Pre/Fin plywood for my cabinet boxes because of the time it saves. i edge treat the panels with raw hardwood veneer tape and use spray contact adhesive to attach it. After i stack the panels on top of each other and spray my finish i use a utility blade like a scraper on the pre/fin side to lightely scrape and remove any overspray of glue or lacquer. the line between the wood grain and the colored finish is a very crisp line. i use pre/fin only one side for interior parts of the cabinets and apply the customers choice of finish to the other side(if not covered by an end panel or other cabinet). I only pay $6 more for the pre/fin 1 side sheet of maple over the raw sheet.

Howard Rosenberg
10-21-2009, 2:51 PM
your shop looks nicely setup
serious tablesaw ya got there
how long have you been in business
tell us more.....

the photo with the previously felled tree looked cool
especially the fake beards

thanks

Howard

tyler mckenzie
10-21-2009, 3:10 PM
Been in business about a year, work is going very well. The making objects part is fun and enjoyable, its the pricing out that i am learning (slowly ha).

My shop is all used equipment, only way to go when you're starting out. You can get some serious machinery for reasonable prices. I don't like to buy things twice.

We took our 4x5 camera out to take that 'Lumberjack' photo it turned out very well. No Photo shop, all the 'flare' was done with the film developer.

Thanks for the interest

Joe Jensen
10-21-2009, 3:13 PM
Are you able to get pre finished plywood, or just MDF core. I have not been able to find pre finished red oak plywood here in Phoenix, everyone carries MDF core. I'd like to avoid the dust and weight of the MDF core.

tyler mckenzie
10-21-2009, 3:21 PM
I've only found maple and birch pre finished ply. I suspect the main demand for pre finished ply is for cabinet boxes and draws, thus the limited species selection.

Jason Strauss
10-21-2009, 3:49 PM
+1 on the pre-finish ply. I'm currently using some nice maple stuff finished on both sides. The difference between finish on just one side was only around $1.50 more per sheet.

The only draw back I see, and it's very minor, are some scratches and dings that are inevitable while you work with it. I'll gladly live with some very minor scratches on the inside of cabinet boxes vs. having to finish it all myself!

tyler mckenzie
10-21-2009, 8:38 PM
i'm using the two sided pre finished as well.