PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan Handsaw handle

Rob Paul
10-21-2009, 9:41 AM
I recently acquired a handsaw which has a handle type I've never seen before, consisting of bent brass plating riveted to the blade and screwed to a wooden hand grip.
I was wondering if anyone could help me with any information on this saw.

The saw is a panelsaw (20" 7ppi blade),made by Vulcan Saw Mfg Co.
The etch photos are rather faint, but read; "15" over arced "Vulcan Saw Mfg Co" over "Vulcan (arm&hammer trademark) Saw Works" over "Brooklyn" over "warranted cast steel" with an adjacent etch of "Trade Mark" arced over "Set and Filed" over dished "Ready For Use"

I was wondering if this handle was a production model (the patina on the handle components indicate it was an original, and the craftsmanship is professional),
or perhaps this was a limited edition experimental type ? (Harvey Peace saws were produced from the Vulcan Saw Saw Works and featured some handle design innovations, but I haven't found any patent description that fits my handle. The construction of the handle is a bit complex and I don't think it would be price competitive to the simpler traditional designs)

Any suggestions or information would be appreciated

Jim Koepke
10-21-2009, 10:14 AM
The construction of the handle is a bit complex and I don't think it would be price competitive to the simpler traditional designs)

When my occupation was to repair equipment for a public transportation agency, one of the bosses encouraged to replace every part. His reasoning was the parts are cheaper than the labor to redo the work if a component failed prematurely.

The wood part of the handle is much cheaper labor wise than the traditional designs. The material, assembly and manufacturing of the rest of the handle may have shaved a few cents off the total cost of making these saws.

jim

Joshua Clark
10-21-2009, 1:22 PM
I recently acquired a handsaw which has a handle type I've never seen before, consisting of bent brass plating riveted to the blade and screwed to a wooden hand grip.
I was wondering if anyone could help me with any information on this saw.

Hi Rob,

Your saw was probably made by Harvey Peace at the Vulcan Saw Works in Brooklyn, NY. It incorporates Hankin's patent handle # 309,388 and Lord's patent #311,435. You can see the two patents here:

http://datamp.org/displayPatent.php?pn=309388&id=7384
http://datamp.org/displayPatent.php?pn=311435&id=7385

These saws are usually marked with the Vulcan arm and hammer logo. I've seen them marked with several different maker's names above the logo including Hankin, Peace, and Vulcan Saw Works. They are all usually marked with the model number 15. Sometimes they have the Hankin patent date stamped in the handle near the top horn. According to DATAMP, Disston also produced a similar saw but I haven't seen an example.

They are really interesting saws. I think they were intended for rough use as they are usually in rough shape when found.

Hope this helps,

Josh

David Gendron
10-21-2009, 5:13 PM
hi Rob, I can't help you, but it sure is a nice looking handle that look to like it never been "cleaned" the patina is great! is it a user?

Rob Paul
10-22-2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks guys,

Jim - You're right, it was a production model

Josh - Thanks. Excellent ID. The Pat #311435 issued Jan 27 1885 accurately describes my saw. (No Hankin patent date found stamped in my handle) Is this saw model pictured in any of your old reference catalogs/ads ?

David - I really like the old patina too, and the handle is tight and blade steel has only minor pitting. However the blade is a little wavy and there's a bit of a warp (almost a kink) near the toe. If I can get the blade flat , then it'll only need a light jointing and sharpening to make it a good user. (I've improved it somewhat by bending it in my hands, and I might try putting the blade end in the wood vice and pulling to try to straighten the end, ...although I'm a little hesitant as I've a couple of old saws in my collection with the end of the blade broken off ! (not by me))

Rob

Ray Gardiner
10-22-2009, 2:24 PM
Hi Rob, Josh, Jim

This might fill in some missing details, the id is correct, it's a Vulcan 15. by Harvey W Peace Vulcan Saw Works Brooklyn NY, probably late 1890's I guess... interesting that they chose bronze for the metal work.

http://www.backsaw.net/pics/Vulcan15.jpg

Nice find.

Regards
Ray

Joshua Clark
10-22-2009, 11:13 PM
The No. 15 appears in the 1895 National Saw Company catalog twice- once in the picture Ray provided as a normal handsaw, and a few pages later on in a smaller form as a "pruning saw". It does not appear in the 1884 Peace catalog, to give you some frame of reference.

The design was carried on into the Disstion line after the National Saw Company was acquired/integrated/disbanded in the early 1900s. Disston produced a model D-24 pruning saw using the Hankin patent handle. It's identical to the Peace saw and the saw Rob posted pictures of above. The D-24 appears in the 1914 Disston main line catalog.

The Peace No. 15 I have is in good shape and was freshly sharpened before I bought it. I've used it a few times out of curiosity. It's a decent saw to use, but not nearly as comforatable as a normal saw, in my opinion. It would make a great pruning saw for sure, but I'm not taking mine outside :)

Josh