PDA

View Full Version : Food Safe Mold Review

Steve Clarkson
10-21-2009, 9:19 AM
OK, so of course I had to go buy some mold making material from Make Your Own Molds dot com. Delivery was expensive (about $16!) but relatively quick (3-4 working days).

I purchased 2lbs of the CopyFlex liquid ($22/lb) and the large (8oz) tub of Anchor-Dit ($8).

I have made three molds so far. They were all logos and I made two approximately 4"x4" and one 2"x2". I used 1/8" clear extruded acrylic and tried a few different things.

First, I engraved text deep into the acrylic (3 passes at 100p/50s) and although it didn't look good on the acrylic (very cloudy), it was relatively deep. I also vector cut a few images out, then used weld-on to glue them on top of another piece of acrylic, so in effect, my piece of acrylic was 1/4" thick. If you picture a circular logo with a heart in the middle, I vector cut the circle out, lightly engraved the heart on the circle for placement, vector cut the heart out and glued the heart on top of the circle.

Then I made a small box also out of the 1/8" clear.....5"x5" base and 1" high walls and no top. In the future, the box needs to be made stronger (I did not use any joints) and the weld on needs to cure for the full three days, since the box started to fall apart when I removed the mold.

I then made the mistake of using the Anchor-Dit. I thought I applied it correctly, but the liquid silicone still seeped under the acrylic. I wiped the Anchor-Dit on the bottom of the round circle logo and placed it in the center of the 5"x5" box that I had made. In the future, I will use weld on to glue the circle to the bottom of the box, thus guaranteeing that no liquid will seep under it. Basically, when I removed the mold from the box, there were very thin pieces of the mold that covered the back and needed to be removed.....it makes for a sloppy mold.

After attaching the circle logo to the bottom of the box, I painted the circle logo with the CopyFlex (recommended so that the details come out) and then just poured the rest of the CopyFlex into the box until the acrylic was covered (about 1/2" deep). I may have poured mine too deep, but I wanted to make sure the mold was strong, rather than trying to save a few bucks by making it too thin and having it break. What was nice about this is that the molds now have a nice flat bottom.

The engraved text came out perfect and the multi-layered acrylic also came out perfect.

I'm boiling the molds as I type this and then I need to actually melt some chocolate and pour it in and see how it looks. I'll give you a further update and some pictures when it's done. But after removing the molds (which was relatively easy if you have small, strong fingers), the detail looks good.

Now, for this product.......my first reaction and problem with it is the packaging. It is next to impossible to open!!! I think I cut my fingers on the hard plastic four or five times. It comes in a small tub (like for butter or whipped cream) but it has a seal around it that I had to use pliers and a screwdriver to break. If you don't have very strong hands, either don't buy this product or find someone else to open it for you. If you can't open a medicine bottle, you don't have a prayer opening this stuff. The guy who designed this packaging should start making safes. It really was so bad, I have thought about not buying the stuff again, and I will send him a note telling him why......because of the packaging.

Mixing was very easy.....it comes in two different compounds that need to be mixed together to activate it. It was relatively difficult to measure, but I just eyeballed it and it seemed to come out fine.

Next is coverage. I bought two pounds of the stuff and made two 5"x5"x1/2" molds and one 3"x3"x3/4" mold and the stuff is almost gone. I may have enough to make one more 5"x5"x1/2" mold. I estimate the coverage to be about 40-45 sq inches (1/2" deep) per pound or about $0.50 per square inch of mold (remember....a 4"x4" logo needs a 5"x5" box.....which is 25 sq inches or $12.50). In my opinion, this is very expensive. For all the work involved, I'm not sure you could get $30-40 for a 4" mold.

But overall, I do recommend the stuff if you want to make a mold.

Darren Null
10-21-2009, 10:15 AM
Photos or it didn't happen!

Mike Null
10-21-2009, 10:42 AM
Darren is right! Better, send out some chocolate samples with your logo.

Darren Null
10-21-2009, 10:54 AM
You're righter than me Mike! Chocolates, or it didn't happen!

Dee Gallo
10-21-2009, 12:07 PM
It comes in a small tub (like for butter or whipped cream) but it has a seal around it that I had to use pliers and a screwdriver to break. If you don't have very strong hands, either don't buy this product or find someone else to open it for you.

Steve-

If yours came in the same tubs as mine, they are built like joint compound buckets...with a snap-off thing under the lid. Once you snap that off, the top comes right off, no gorilla needed.

The only complaint I have is that since I have long nails, I thought I would use gloves. The stuff stuck to the gloves like nobody's business, so I ended up taking them off. It does not stick to skin. But it is harder to form with just the backs and sides of your fingers...haha... luckily, the outside of the mold shape doesn't matter.

I just made my test mold, but it will take an hour to cure. Then comes the BIG test, the chocolate.

:) dee

Steve Clarkson
10-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Dee,

I saw it and I pulled it.....and the little starter piece just broke off......then I had to break it off all around. Sorry.....not changing my mind about this.....the packaging stinks (I would have used a MUCH stronger word if this was a G-rated forum!)

I made the first one with candy.....almost like frosting, but it comes in nice colors. Some of my designs were too intricate and didn't survive the demolding.

Just filled it with white chocolate.....

What I DID discover is that making chocolate molds isn't as simple as pouring the chocolate in and throwing it in the fridge!!!!!

Mike Null
10-21-2009, 4:50 PM
Steve

Don't be surprised if you can get $50 or more for a mold from a candy maker.

The local guy I talked to was desperate for better quality and smaller quantities.

Martin Boekers
10-21-2009, 11:54 PM
Steve,

I used to have on of these when I was a kid.

It would be fun to play with now!

Marty

Andrea Weissenseel
10-22-2009, 4:04 AM
(I did not use any joints)hm :rolleyes:

Dee, did you also order the liquid copy flex ?

Andrea

Dee Gallo
10-22-2009, 6:44 AM
Dee, did you also order the liquid copy flex ?

Andrea

No, I only got the Plastique - very easy to use. BUT - I found out that those PITA gloves actually ruined the silicone and made it not set up properly, so beware! When I used it with no gloves, it worked like a charm. But I think the liquid would be even easier once you have your master made.

Now that I have tested the mold material, I will make something to actually use for chocolate....

~ dee

Steve Clarkson
10-23-2009, 3:10 PM
See Darren.....it DID happen!!!!!!

Steve Clarkson
10-23-2009, 3:12 PM
And a few more.....

Steve Clarkson
10-23-2009, 3:18 PM
And a few more.....

Dee Gallo
10-23-2009, 3:21 PM
Wow, Steve, great results!

Did you get my 2 emails or are you ignoring me? Your PM box is full and this is IMPORTANT! e me, will ya?

cheers, dee

Steve Clarkson
10-23-2009, 3:36 PM
Wow, Steve, great results!

Did you get my 2 emails or are you ignoring me? Your PM box is full and this is IMPORTANT! e me, will ya?

cheers, dee

No Dee.....I didn't get them (I just checked)......I know my mailbox was full a day or two ago, so I just deleted a bunch......so there should be room to send me one now.

I would never intentionally ignore you!

Martin Boekers
10-23-2009, 3:48 PM
Great jobs Steve!

And PHOTOS none the less!

"The student is now the teacher"

Marty

Mike Null
10-23-2009, 4:05 PM
Now make some with car co. logos and take them to your local candy stores to see if they have an interest.

Good job!

Dan Hintz
10-23-2009, 4:14 PM
If I can't taste the results, none of this happened.

Steve Clarkson
10-23-2009, 4:54 PM
Mike, car company logos? Like for the dealership or the manufacturer?

I can't actually make the candy though.....too many rats and mice in my house...the health inspectors would be all over that.

Dan, send me your flame polisher and I'll send you all the samples you want!!!

Doug Griffith
10-23-2009, 5:20 PM
Steve,

I used to have on of these when I was a kid.

It would be fun to play with now!

Marty

Very cool. I like how almost everything on the table except the fake nose would be impossible to make with a vacuum former.

Mike Null
10-23-2009, 5:22 PM
Steve

Just use your imagination or ask the candy co. owner for an idea.

One of the local candy makers who contacted me said he'd estimate the business at $2500 to $3500 per year. I was interested and did some work on it but didn't have time to keep experimenting.

Martin Boekers
10-23-2009, 5:30 PM
Actually Doug you could make most of those things, some took a couple sheets of plastic, then you would have to trim them out and glue them together. They had a series of "templates' that came with it.

It wasn't as cool then as it would be now as I wasn't as creative back then.

We had all sorts of cool toys back then that would never pass Government inspection now.

Marty

Doug Griffith
10-23-2009, 5:38 PM
I'm going to guess they looked far cooler in the illustration and the actual parts were "smoothed out" versions. But in a kid's eye, they were awesome. Especially after forming out of a flat sheet of plastic. What were the tools made out of? Something like Bakelite?

Martin Boekers
10-24-2009, 11:15 PM
They were small as you can see. If my memory serves me correctly it seems like they were cast aluminum.

Marty

Martin Boekers
10-25-2009, 4:45 PM
A little more research and I found this site,

http://www.amazingmoldputty.com/

Similar to Plastique Putty (make your own molds)

But is available at Michaels Craft Stores About $20 for 2/3 of a pound, Michaels runs 40% off coupons all the time, so that cut costs.

After watching some videos on YouTube I see many more uses than just candy molds.

There are clay polymers out there that can be mixed with pigments, gold leafed or painted and even made to look like metal. I can see
making a "metallic" piece to decorate a plaque without having a casting made.

Just some thoughts.

Marty

Darren Null
10-25-2009, 10:16 PM
Oh alright, it did happen. Excellent work Steve.