PDA

View Full Version : Stamp Making Material Source

David Fairfield
10-21-2009, 8:26 AM
Hi guys

What do I need to make and use rubber stamps, and where's a good place to buy. Gonna make some rubber stamp sets for my friends' kids as a little Christmas present. Thanks :)

Dave

Steve Clarkson
10-21-2009, 8:30 AM
David,

Do a search on here for Millenium Marking Co......I got a free sample from them and it worked GREAT!

Lee DeRaud
10-21-2009, 10:51 AM
David,

Do a search on here for Millenium Marking Co......I got a free sample from them and it worked GREAT!Is the "no-odor polymer" really "no-odor"?

Steve Clarkson
10-21-2009, 11:24 AM
Yes it is.....actually, both are pretty tame.

Jim Sage
10-21-2009, 11:49 AM
I make stamps for a living - All of the rubber stinks ;)

You can get everything you need (rubber, wood mount, acrylic mount)

Google search "Jackson Marking Products"

Bill Cunningham
10-22-2009, 9:41 PM
I make all my own stamp polymer sheets for use in the laser.. There is a smell, but nothing like the three week rotten dead skunk odour you get from rubber.. I asked for a sample of that low/no odour rubber, and they send me a sheet of 'something' that didn't look any different than the normal stinky stuff, so I never got around to trying it.. The polymer vaporizes and leaves a oily residue that washes clean away with water..

Art Anderson
10-23-2009, 4:59 AM
90% of my laser work is making rubber stamps. The "no odor" rubber from Millennium Marking is almost odor free. It looks the same as the other stuff, but I can finally run stamps without smelling it for three days, and that's with good exhaust! The next door bike shop hasn't threatened to do me in since I started using it. The only negative is that it is more sensitive to heat and will lose detail on extremely fine lines when doing a deeper etch. I still need to use El-Stinko occasionally, but I try to avoid if at all possible.

Well worth trying!

Art Anderson

Bill Cunningham
10-24-2009, 9:59 PM
Try the polymer.. They call it laser polymer, but it's the same stuff used for making UV exposed polymer stamps.. It has a bit of a sweet smell (no relation to the dead skunk rubber), and fine lines are no problem.. I only use 'rubber' if the stamp is being used with acid, solvent, or oil based inks. Polymer is fine for 99% of the stamps I make. My normal production runs is on a photopolymer plate maker, and I use the laser when I need a few quicker. If your making 50 a day, a laser is far too slow, and UV Polymer is the way to go. If your making a 100 or more of the same stamp, or a group of stamps, (like art stamps to be repeated) then vulcanized rubber is the way to go..